Lesser Gods Ch. 19B-20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm glad she'll be happy, but the person I really want to be happy about it is you," Zoe said, looking earnestly at him.

"I couldn't be happier that you are alive, in my home, and planning our wedding! I really never thought I would marry again," he said, then caught the change in her expression.

"Again?" she asked, brow knit deeply.

"I guess I should have told you about that before now, but honestly, the last time we talked about my history, we only got to the point when Abigail ran away. I thought, at the time, we would have many more nights of long talks before planning our wedding," he said, sheepishly. "Would you like to hear the rest of my story before deciding if you really want to marry me."

He looked earnestly at her. She had no doubt he would do whatever she wished. She also had no doubt she loved him and was meant to be with him.

"Just tell me two things," she asked, "when was the marriage and how did it end?"

"I was married the equivalent of the second century BC, and she died," he said, succinctly, but sadly.

"And you loved her very much." Zoe was compelled to add.

"Yes, I loved her very much," he said, looking deeply into her eyes, trying to judge how that admission would affect her.

"Then I want to plan the wedding for Christmas time, leaving us plenty of time to talk about your life," she said, matter-of-factly.

"It doesn't bother you that I loved someone before you?" he asked, wanting to understand why she asked.

"I think I know you well enough to know you would only marry for love, but I wanted to hear you say it," she said, squeezing his hand. "You are a good man. The fact that you loved someone more than two thousand years ago just proves it."

"I may live forever, but I'll never understand women," he said, shaking his head, but smiling.

"It's just as well. I'd rather keep you guessing," she said, smiling.

******************

This is the end of "Lesser Gods". I realize some readers will be upset that : 1) everything wasn't tied up nicely, and 2) there was no sex, but I originally wrote this to be a published novel, part of a trilogy, and just decided one day to publish it here instead, with a few changes. The next book starts on Zoe's wedding day, and spends more time with other characters. I promise to work on it as soon as I have finished Fae Wars, so expect the next book to begin in February.

Please vote and leave comments – I love to hear from you!

12