A Cruise to Die For: George

Story Info
Another Mike Claymore mystery #5.
120.2k words
4.86
7.8k
5
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

another MIKE CLAYMORE MYSTERY #5: George

Characters

Main Group:

Mike Claymore 31-year-old detective/truck driver (Main hero)

Marlene Claymore Mike's pregnant wife and mother of their 3 children

Richard (Rick) Claymore 11 year old son of Mike and Marlene

Shelly Claymore 9 year old daughter of Mike and Marlene

Janet (Jan) Claymore 8 year old daughter of Mike and Marlene

Trudy Millicent Garneau 22 year old mistress of Mike and business partner

Crystal Garneau 8 year old daughter of Trudy and husband, Marcel

Shannon (Sam) Claymore 2 month old daughter of Mike and Trudy

Terry Claymore 34 year old brother to Mike

Nina Hart 28 year old common-law-wife of Terry Claymore

Cathy Claymore Hart 1 year old twin daughter of Nina Hart and Mike Claymore

Ann Claymore Hart 1 year old twin daughter of Nina Hart and Mike Claymore

Cruise Cast:

Captain: Jorge Kneilsen

Purser: Keith Younger

Radio Op: Jelly

Ships Security: S.O. Lance Pedersen

Ship's Doctor: Dr. Watson

Servitor: Lui HuTang

Servitor: Lee Ptong

Servitor: Keeley Chow

Servitor: Georgie Wangtu

+ SS Sweden 'Brilliance' 898 staff

P.A.T. President Remy Sullivan (Pacific Amalgamated Trades)

P.A.T. Vice Pres. Cole Livingston

I.W.A. President George O'Brien (International Woodworkers of America - BC)

I.W.A. Secretary Linda Choy

I.W.A. Treasurer Timothy Carson

I.W.A. V. Pres. Kurt Brady

+ I.W.A. 694 delegates

C.U.P.E. President Charles Bradshaw (Canadian Union of Public Employees - BC)

C.U.P.E. Vice Pres. Harold Thiesson

+ C.U.P.E. 104 delegates

B.C.G.E.U. President Jack Dennison (BC Government Employees Union)

B.C.G.E.U. delegates Ralph (Jeanette) Marriott; Sammy Getz; Clifford Reagan

+ B.C.G.E.U. 344 delegates

Teamster's delegates: Jack Zimmer, Lorne Gregson, and Chauncy

+ Teamsters 92 delegates

Cdn. Union of Mines & Resources delegate Remic Knudsen

+ C.U.M.&R. 47 delegates

USGE/PSAC delegate Ivy Curtis (Public Service Alliance of Canada)

USGE/PSAC delegate Cally Douglas (Union of Solicitor General Employees)

+ USGE/PSAC 38 delegates

+ Assorted unions 174 delegates

Janine Dempster, RCMP Insp.

Hans Kelleher - smuggler/drug dealer

Chapter 1:

September 21/96

Sam is two month's old today. Mike still can't get used to calling her Sam. In his mind she is Shannon, the newest Claymore and the light of her father's eyes. He advances the idea to Marlene he has been hatching in his mind the last few days since the reprieve.

"What we need is a chance to relax after all the tension this summer, love. I have checked and there is one more cruise this season up the coast. How about it? Two weeks, just the two of us and the sea? Can't you see us sun bathing on the deck, swimming in the pool, playing shuffleboard and no phone, no meals to make, just relax and enjoy the scenery?"

"What about the kids?"

"I think your mom would love to have them for two weeks. She is always complaining she doesn't see much of them."

"What about your work?"

"I'll tell CPX I want the time off. I'm sure Jerry can swing it for me. And Trudy has Chuck, Jack and Lily to rely on. What about it?"

"Hmm, you have it all worked out, don't you?"

"Well, just about." Mike can feel she is giving in. He has another reason for wanting to get her away. His love life has been sporadic with her ever since the charge of statutory rape was brought against him. Finally charges were dropped a few days ago but she is still cool. He hopes this trip will bring them close again.

Mike Claymore is a truck driver turned detective. He has a background in law enforcement and the military. He was born of an Iroquois mother and a Scottish father south of modern day Montreal. His wife, Marlene's family is Scottish from the Fraser Valley of British Columbia, Canada. Mike drives truck for C.P. Express and Transport (CPX) out of their western terminal in Port Coquitlam (Poco) just east of Vancouver. Recently in July a minor he picked up hitch hiking charged him with statutory rape. It was a case of a young woman he had scorned who sought to do him wrong and now she has dropped the charges.

Mike is also a partner in "Mike Claymore, Security & Investigations", a security firm with offices in Abbotsford and Chilliwack in the central Fraser Valley of British Columbia. This is a business he founded with the help of his mistress, Trudy Millicent Garneau, a former truck stop waitress and a canny business head as well as an investigator in her own right.

Sam is his daughter by Trudy and a fragile peace treaty of sorts exists between Marlene and the mistress. They have a grudging respect for each other but do not necessarily like the relationship Mike has imposed on them, that of sister wives. At this time Marlene is close to six month's pregnant herself.

Mike goes on, "We have to make a decision today. This is the deadline for a decent suite. It's the bargain of a lifetime. The cruise is laid on for the Pacific Amalgamated Trades of B.C. (PAT) convention and they will have about 1500 in attendance. It will be a leisurely thirteen days as opposed to the usual seven days and since the majority of the attendees are there for the convention, not the cruise, they will fill the inside cheaper rooms and the premium ocean view suites are at a rock bottom price. I have to call Carson Wagonlit Travel today if we are going. Take a look at these brochures while I get us some coffee, love. It's the SS Sweden Brilliance."

Mike brings fresh coffee back to the table. "What do you think?"

Marlene is pouring over the amenities for one of the Princess cruise ships.

"Uh hon, that is not the one we would be on," he opens another brochure, "See, this is the Sweden Brilliance." He reads the specs, "77,000 gross tonnage, 850 feet in length, with a crew of 850 and a capacity for 2,000 guests. It has 6 restaurants, 13 bars, 2 pools and 4 hot tubs. It even has a casino. See this shot of one of the rooms? The room has it's own balcony."

"Mmmmmmmm, I like the sound of that hot tub." She looks up at Mike, "When is it sailing?"

"Next Saturday."

"Oh Mike, that's too soon. We couldn't possibly go that soon." She looks at the pictures again, "Could we?" She lifts her coffee to sip it.

"Hon, we have always said we would like to take this cruise and it is never going to come up with a bargain like this again."

She rubs her stomach, "What about the baby?"

"Well, we are borderline there. You will be pretty close to the 24-week limit so we will have to get a certificate from your doctor. I don't think that will be a problem. They have adequate medical people aboard the cruise ship."

"Will we have to get passports?" Marlene is definitely considering the possibility of going now and getting excited about it.

"Our birth certificates and our driver's licenses are all that is required."

"Will we have one of those rooms with the balconies?"

"If I can swing it we will have a suite with a balcony. Mary Ann said the luxury accommodations are those that are easiest gotten on this voyage. Of course some of the upper echelon in PAT will grab swanky quarters but a lot of them are empty."

"Two whole weeks?"

"Well, thirteen days. It's seven days up to Seward and Anchorage, and then six back to Vancouver. It includes inside passage cruising to Prince Rupert to pickup union members from the Queen Charlotte's and Prince Rupert/Prince George area, then on to Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. There are a couple of days cruising the glaciers and the fiords, then the return passage down through the inside straights again. We will have time to explore around Juneau if you want and we can go ashore at any of the stops. A lot of the extra passengers who are not with the convention will be going one way and flying home from Anchorage. I thought we would take the round trip route."

"When do we have to make the final decision?"

Mike grins, "Now! The sooner the better. Mary Anne says she has to have the funds in her hands today to get us on board. It's only a week away. I just found out yesterday." Mike says further, "She only mentioned it when I saw her in the credit union. I suppose she is trying to get friends to take advantage of this bargain before its gone, and she knows I've talked about it before to her."

Marlene expresses wonder, "Whew! You better call Trudy and see what she thinks. Let's go for it if we can."

Mike looks relieved as he goes down the stairs to his basement office. He dials their Chilliwack office number. "Good morning, you have reached the offices of Mike Claymore Security & Investigations. May I help you?"

"Trudy, it's Mike."

"Yep, I recognize your voice, boss. What's up?"

Mike grins, "Not me, at least not right now." He laughs.

"Come on down here and we'll take care of that," she answers coquettishly.

"Maybe later. How would you like to get rid of me for a couple of weeks?"

"Two weeks? Are you off to Ontario?"

"Nope. Celebrating the dropping of those charges. Think I am going to take Marlene on an Alaskan cruise. What do you think?"

"Gonna take me on one when you get back?" she is chuckling.

"It won't be long and you will be riding with me in the truck again."

"That's not a cruise."

Mike sighs, "I know but we will figure in a side trip or two. We always do, don't we?"

"Okay darling. When are you going and what are you going to do with the kids?"

"They're going to grandma's and we sail next Saturday."

"Wow! That's short notice!"

Mike goes on to explain the bargain he has been offered. He inquires about his daughter and then tells her he still has to call CPX and get the go ahead from them. Trudy quickly gets his approval for some business and lets him go.

Mike calls CPX dispatch and talks with Jerry.

"When will you be back, Mike?"

"Scheduled to arrive back in Vancouver harbour on the 11th of October, Jerry. How does the long range work situation look."?

"Most of the guys on summer holidays will be back this week. I can't see any problems with it Mike, go for it."

"Thanks, Jerry. I will let you know for sure as soon as we have our tickets. Anything scheduled for this week?"

"Nothing right now but Monday morning might be different. I'll call if we have anything."

Mike drives a Kenworth K-100 with full sleeper and he hauls for CPX throughout British Columbia, Alberta and into Saskatchewan. He has promised his wife he will not take the long hauls across the continent but he finds local runs boring. He drove truck first when he was young for the Navy and found it got into his blood. He keeps it up now to supplement his income.

Marlene drops in his office coming from the washing she is doing in the utility room next door. "What did Trudy say?"

"It's okay with her and I just called Jerry at CPX. He says it works for him, too."

"I better call Mom," she exits up the stairs. She calls back to him, "That was till the 11th, right?"

"Yes dear and ask her if they have any plans. Rick could go down and help Trudy."

"Okay," comes from the upper floor. Mike sees the light appear on his phone and hears her voice in the distance. He draws out today's fax from Trudy and looks over what is happening. It looks like Jack and Lily are working in Langley. Chuck has the day off and Trudy herself is doing some skip tracing by phone. Mike checks back in some files and he scribbles a note on a pad. He makes a note to himself to check with Trudy on how much business they are getting from the Langley area. Since Chuck lives there and the duo of Jack and Lily live in New Westminster just beyond there it might warrant a closer look at expanding into that market.

In his mind he assesses the attributes of his staff. Chuck has a background in private security but is devoted and does a fine job. He is an old friend. Jack White comes from the RCMP on a disability pension but also is very reliable and has had experience in the fields where Mike's work lies. The other member of the team is Lily, a Chinese emigrant to Canada and formerly employed as an undercover drug laws enforcement officer in Singapore. She and Jack live together and are a terrific team.

If he had to pick one for an office manager he is not sure which it would be. He dwells on it and finally thinks he would choose Lily. The other two could work with her and not feel they had been overlooked for promotion. Marlene calls down to him.

"Mom is delighted. Mike, I think both girls and Rick is too much to ask of her. I am going to see if Richard will help Trudy. Okay?"

Mike is coming up the stairs now, "Okay, I said that might be a good idea."

He hears her giggle, "Not going to let me grab the credit for that idea, eh?" They laugh together as he hugs her.

Mike says, "I think this holiday is just what we need. By the way, where are the kids this morning?"

"Rick and Julie are over to the arena skating, her mother picked him up." She gets an edge to her voice, "And don't you go getting any ideas." Julie's mother, Sadie, is a stripper in a local nightclub. Mike calls her Shady Sadie and he has had many late night meetings with her in the past.

"And Shelly and Jan?"

"The girls are at mom's for the day. She's taking them to the circus in Langley. She wanted me to join them but I have a washing in and shopping to do this afternoon. How about you? I thought you were going down to Trudy's?"

"I thought I might go down to Sunny Meadows and close up the trailer for the season. Do you think we are likely to use it again this year?"

Marlene thinks this over, "Seems a shame to call it a season so early. Don't you think we might get away again before it gets too cold?"

"Okay, let's leave it for now." They have a trailer at a local nudist park and find that is a great way to relax when they can get away. "Want me to come along shopping with you?"

"No! Good heavens, no. You know you hate shopping." Marlene looks a bit upset at the idea.

"I may go over and wash the truck. Guess my car could use a bath, too."

Mike drives a '69 candy apple red mustang convertible. "Maybe I will drop by the police station on my way out and catch up on the latest." He watches Marlene's reactions to this and sees she is agitated.

"The Matsqui Police?"

Mike let's her stew a few minutes as he reads a brochure, "No, the RCMP station was what I had in mind. I've seen enough of Ken the last few months." Ken is the local police chief of the Matsqui Police, a force operated by the towns of Abbotsford, Clearbrook and Matsqui. The RCMP operates in the area as highway patrol on the freeway and cover federal offences within the towns. Marlene went to school with the chief and Trudy has told Mike that she thinks Marlene may be seeing him on the side. Mike has yet to catch her at it but he is becoming convinced she might be. Mike finishes his coffee and goes to his office for his cell phone and briefcase.

He comes back up and in the kitchen silently steals up behind Marlene to tug her apron string and undo it. She laughs and slaps at his hand as she reaches back to refasten it. Mike slips an arm around her and kisses her. "See you at suppertime then. I will grab some lunch in Poco or Mission since I will be stopping there at Carson Wagonlit to see Mary Ann first."

Marlene waves at him as he passes the side window on his way to his car. Mike pulls out onto Marshal Road in Abbotsford and swings left at the stoplight. He passes the Abbotsford hospital and heads across town. He glances at his watch and pulls in at Tim Horton's Restaurant. He sees one RCMP cruiser in the lot but sits in his car waiting. He dials his cell phone.

"Good morning, Carson Wagonlit Travel, can I help you?"

"Is Mary Ann there, please?"

"Hold on a minute." The female voice is familiar but he can't put a face with it. She comes back again, "Mary Ann is with a customer. Can I tell her who is calling?"

"Tell her it's Mike Claymore and I will take her up on her offer."

"I'll tell her. Will you hold for an answer?"

"Yes." Mike looks around and sees the RCMP officer leaving the restaurant. He looks familiar so he nods and moves his hand in a greeting gesture. The officer must know his car because he smiles and waves back as he gets into his cruiser.

"Are you there?"

"Yes," intones Mike into the phone.

"Mary Ann wants to know if you will be in today?"

"Yes, within the hour and with the funds."

"Excellent. She says see you then."

"Thank you," Mike clicks on end and clips the phone to his belt. He goes into the restaurant. He orders coffee and consults his watch again. He gets a seat in a quiet corner and waits. Two cruisers approach each other in the street and slow down. They exchange words and the one puts on her signal light to come into Tim Horton's. Mike smiles as he sees the other cruiser go on down the street. He waits for Janine to join him.

She comes in and heads right to his table nodding at the attendant as she goes by. "I saw your car out front," she seats herself across from him. "Jimmy might be back. He's just dropping off some reports at the office."

The attendant brings coffee and doughnuts, "Anyone else joining you? I brought a few."

Janine smiles, "Thanks buddy." She turns to Mike, "Want one?"

Mike rubs his stomach, "Better not, I sure don't need it,"

Janine laughs and says, "Me either but they're habit forming." She whispers, "Good thing you help me wear them off," and stirs her coffee. "What's up? I didn't expect to see you here on a Saturday morning."

"Just on my way over to Mission and Poco. I thought I might catch you here. Something's come up and I'll be out of town a couple of weeks."

"Going back east?"

Mike chuckles, "You and Trudy, you think alike. No, Marlene and I are taking an Alaskan cruise. We are leaving next Saturday. Should be back the 11th."

Janine looks a bit puzzled, "Why didn't you tell me before?"

"It came up sudden like. A friend gave me an offer I couldn't refuse yesterday. Do you know Mary Ann at Carson Wagonlit in Mission?"

"No, never heard of her."

"Well she has this deal on a last voyage of one of the cruise ships that is over half full of trade unionists on a convention. She has a bunch of first class staterooms on this cruise at rock bottom prices. She only told me yesterday."

"Wow, that's neat! I should take some holidays and join you guys."

"Uh, do you think that's wise? A ship is pretty close quarters for us to hide our relationship."

"I doubt I could get leave that fast." Janine looks thoughtful. "Marlene has never met me though," she sniggers, "I could get a good look at that wife of yours at last."

Mike hisses, "Janine, not wise at all!"

She rests her hand on his, "Fear not, lover. Will we get a chance to get together again before you go?"

"What you doing tonight?"

"Oh, not tonight. How about Tuesday night?"

Mike pauses, "That might work. What you got in mind?"

"A cosy tête-à-tête at home. My roommate will be out of town."

Mike ponders, "I'll see what I can do. Sounds good." Just then another officer arrives and heads for their table. Mike pulls his hand back and says, "Jimmy, won't you join us?"

The two uniformed officers exchange conversation and Mike begs off saying he has to get over to Mission. He waves to them as he leaves. He heads right out the Abby-Mission highway to Mission and pulls into the credit union mall within half an hour.

Mary Ann is delighted to see him and she hands him the final figures for the voyage. Mike goes over it with her adding some stops ashore and other amenities then goes next door to the credit union to get the funds. Within an hour he is finished and they are booked for the trip. Mike enjoys the friendly personal service he gets at the Mission branch of the Fraser Valley Credit Union and has maintained an account here for a few years. He has gotten them an oceanview stateroom with balcony on the third deck up from the main deck with easy access to the pool and sports deck above. They will have about 200 square feet of living space, twin beds that can be attached to make a double and a sitting room area with sliding glass door to the balcony. That coupled with a small bathroom will comprise their space on the voyage. Mike is pleased. He calls home when he has everything settled but there is no answer.