In The Blink Of An Eye

Story Info
Mark helps his friend through a serious crisis.
7.2k words
4.65
86.5k
19
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Many Feathers
Many Feathers
10,436 Followers

It had been six months since I'd moved in next door to an amazing lady. She was in her early to mid sixties, had a vibrant warm personality, and immediately befriended me showing genuine concern after my divorce. Madeline and I became good friends. I very often stopped by after work to check on her, see how she was doing, and generally on the weekends, did a few odd jobs for her. Having Madeline as a friend, someone to talk to, made the days easier to deal with and not quite so lonely.

She was also a very attractive woman too, and even though she was at least twenty years older than I was, I had in fact entertained fantasies about her, though I would never have acted on them.

It was in the middle of the week that I woke to the sound of sirens and emergency vehicles just outside my window. Throwing on my robe, I dashed outside and stood waiting out on the sidewalk as the paramedics soon brought her out on a stretcher, loading her into the ambulance.

I managed to catch the real true fear in her eyes as they carried her by, reaching out to touch her forehead only briefly. As I did, I saw the telltale signs of stroke, now just as fearful as she as they loaded her into the emergency vehicle for the trip to the hospital.

I called a bit later of course, but as I wasn't a family member, there was little information they were willing to give me, except for saying Mrs. Jones was stable and that was all. The next day however, Janice, the older of her two daughters came by the house. Janice was my age, though perhaps younger by one or two years. And though we had never met formally, I knew enough about her from Madeline that I felt I knew her.

Janice too, like me...had recently been divorced. Seeing her pull her car into the driveway, I immediately headed over, though hesitant to ask, too curious and worried about my dear friend not to.

I stood at the screened kitchen door and knocked, moments later Janice appeared, saw me, and smiled, though it was an acknowledged friendly smile that she in fact somehow knew who I was.

"Hi, I'm Mark Edwards," I said introducing myself. "I live next door to your mother."

"Yes, I know, mom's told me a little bit about you, thank you for helping her around the place," she added, though her look now took on a more somber serious note even before I asked the question.

"How is she anyway?"

"Not good, but at least she's alive. She had a stroke."

I had already guessed that, but hearing it confirmed still shocked and saddened me.

"The doctor's said it may be a while yet before we know the true extent of everything, but right now, she can't do much of anything. Can't speak, can't move her arms or legs..." She stood and began to cry. Though I didn't know her from Adam, I quickly gathered Janice in my arms as she sobbed uncontrollably. When she finally managed to compose herself, we sat down at the kitchen table together.

"With a great deal of physical therapy and time, mother might regain some of her normal functions, but until we know for sure, I've taken a leave of absence from work, and will be moving in to help take care of her when she's finally released to come home."

I of course offered whatever help or assistance that I could, which Janice seemed very grateful to hear, then returned home, saddened and once again feeling alone with the loss of my friend as I saw it, knowing that things would probably never be the same again.

Several weeks later, Madeline came home.

#

Out of respect, I gave Janice and her mother some privacy and a chance to settle in before sticking my nose in the screen door several days later. When I did, Janice smiled upon seeing me, surprising me with a warm friendly hug as I entered.

"How is she?"

"Ok I guess, but it is bad, she's pretty much paralyzed just as I told you before, though the doctors are still optimistic that in time, she'll regain some things; though she may never walk again, in time, they do think she'll be able to speak. But right now, not much of anything."

"Can I see her?"

"I'm sure she'd like that, but let me check first. Though she can't say anything, I can see some emotion in her eyes, so let me tell her you're here and how she responds to that. Right now, she's sitting in her favorite chair by the window, it's about the only exercise we're able to give her at the moment, just getting her to sit up for a short while. But at least that's something."

Janice came back down a few minutes later and told me to go ahead up to her room.

"I promise, I won't stay too long," I said taking Janice's hand for a moment, trying to give her some sort of reassurance that everything would turn out ok, though I didn't feel that myself. And I wasn't prepared for what I saw either, as vivacious and full of life as Madeline had been, she was hardly a shell of her former self as she sat looking at me with her face seemingly frozen in time. What Janice had told me however was true, even though she was unable to speak, or even really acknowledge my presence in any way, I saw a slight movement in her hand as it quivered in her lap, a look in her eyes that told me she was still fully aware of everything, and even brightened somewhat upon seeing me when I entered.

I kissed her forehead and sat down, taking her hand in my own and felt it as she stopped shaking. There seemed to be even a bit of a press from it as I did, though it was almost negligible. I told Madeline that I would continue to be around, help out Janice and herself however and whenever I could, and then holding to my word soon after left.

The days passed, and though Janice continued taking her mother to therapy, there seemed to be little if any progress being made, though she did manage to sit for longer and longer periods of time in her chair by the window than she had done in the beginning.

The first real sign of recovery came when Madeline managed to somehow get from her own bed into her wheelchair all by herself, stunning Janice when she went up to check on her. How she had done it, she wasn't even sure, though there was marked improvement in her hand. And, though she still couldn't control it well enough to be able to write with it, at least it seemed, she was beginning to be able to use it if even in a very limited way.

Like I said, Madeline was a remarkable woman.

#

The one very unexpected by-product of all this, was that Janice and I had grown close now ourselves, much closer in fact. On rare occasions after Janice had gotten her mother to bed for the night, she would come over, and share a glass of wine with me, or just sit with me on the couch. It had been just such an evening, when unexplainably we shared a brief, yet very passionate kiss together, which had led to a great deal of fondling and petting though we both soon recovered our wits ending the session, chalking it up to emotional frustrations. Janice had soon returned home after that, but I found myself thinking about her more and more, my own frustrations getting the better of me as fantasies about her increased to the point where I couldn't take it anymore.

I was sitting on the very same couch where we had kissed, where I had sat caressing her soft breasts, feeling and enjoying the hardness of her nipples as they pressed wantonly, invitingly against the palm of my hand. Before I even realized it, I had undone my zipper, freeing my cock, and began stroking it. I allowed my fantasies of Janice to continue until I felt the warm sticky fluid of my eruption coating my hand. I then stood, preparing to clean myself up, grabbing a tissue out of a nearby box though I hadn't placed it there for that reason, and began wiping away my spending which I had sprayed against myself nearly everywhere. I don't know why I suddenly did it, or what it was that triggered the action or thought, but I suddenly spun around glancing up through my window.

The window by the couch I'd be laying on, masturbating as I had been, faced the side of the house where Madeline and Janice lived. Why I hadn't realized it, or considered it until now shamed me. I was almost fearful to look up, but that same fear caused me to do so, and as I did, I saw Madeline sitting there in her large oversized chair looking down at me!

Embarrassed, ashamed, I quickly stepped away from the window, though without drawing the curtains, as that would have made things even more obvious. I could only hope that Madeline hadn't really seen anything, or even if she had seen me lying there for a bit, was unaware of what I'd been doing. Gathering myself, I waited for a while, and then headed over to their house just as I very often did to check on things.

At least Janice was pleased to see me, though not quite for the reasons I'd been hoping for as of late. "Oh Good! I was just about to call you," she stated. "I need a favor."

"Sure, whatever you need," I told her nervously, yet mildly relieved at the moment.

"Would you mind sitting with mom for a bit? I need to run out and do a couple of errands I've been neglecting to do. Shouldn't take me any longer than an hour...would you mind?"

"Not at all!" I assured her. "Take whatever time you need."

Janice grinned. I think it was the first time in a very long time that I had actually seen her do so. "Thank you, I really appreciate this. And...I'm going to pick up something special for dinner tonight, so I want you to come over and join us later," then adding before I could even respond to that, "And I would also like to pick up where we left off the other night, after mom goes to sleep," she said boldly intimating to me that she too had been just as aroused as I had been, even though we'd both half-ashamedly ended it as though neither of us should have even been entertaining such thoughts.

"You sure?"

"Very sure," Janice said, standing up to kiss me, once again thanking me as she gathered up her purse and started to head out. "Mom will be glad to see you," she added, and then left. I couldn't help but wonder though, if she had indeed seen anything, "would she be?"

I slowly climbed the stairs to Madeline's room, nervous, apprehensive of what I might see or find when I got there. In a way, over the weeks I'd been coming over, I had in fact learned to gage change in her emotion, just through her eyes. It was amazing that so simple a thing could indeed express joy, sorrow, or even exhaustion whenever I looked in on her. The only one I hadn't seen, and never hoped to see in her eyes was anger or disgust. As I turned the knob on her bedroom door, I wondered which of those I might actually see in her eyes.

#

Madeline wasn't sitting in her chair when I entered, but in bed. I could only assume that Janice had come up and helped her back into bed after having sat up for a while, and gave a quick nervous thought to her accidentally seeing me as well, making a mental note to never again be so foolish as to do what I did there on my couch by the window.

I was relieved to see what almost looked like a smile in her eyes, even in her face as I entered. I noticed there was the slightest of movements of her lips, as though she was attempting to speak, though she obviously couldn't, giving up. There was a tray near her bedside, and I noticed a small jar of lip-balm on it, her lips looked dry as I picked up the jar and gingerly applied a small bit of the ointment to them. As I did, I again saw a knowing look in her eyes, her lips again trying to move, then surprisingly, the touch of her tongue on my finger as she licked it!

Her response startled and surprised me, though I attempted to hide it, finishing her lips ensuring they were well coated, then sat next to her in the bed, once again holding her hand as I most often did. And as I did, I again felt the press of her hand as it held mine, there was noticeable difference in that now since the first time I had held it. She was indeed trying to show me she was very much aware of it, and was trying to return the affectionate contact in whatever way that she could.

There was no doubt about it. As I looked into her eyes I could see a brightness there I hadn't seen in a very, very long time. Even as she looked away, I followed her gaze naturally, realizing as I did where she now looked. I felt the flush spreading rapidly across my face, not sure if she was indeed looking at, where I was myself now looking. But as I looked up once again, as she did, I caught a hint of movement in her lips, almost but not quite a smile, along with an extra press of her hand as she increased the firmness of her grip on mine, as much as she could, more than she ever had.

"Had she seen me?" I wondered. "And if she had, what was she telling me? Or was all this my own over active imagination, reading into things that weren't there?"

With every ounce of strength that she had, I felt Madeline release her grip on my hand, felt and then saw the movement of her arm, though she didn't lift it so much, as merely forcing it to graze across my thigh as I sat next to her on the bed. I thought at first that it was some sort of involuntary movement, but then I felt it as she rested it fully, relaxing it as it came to sit in my lap, her hand once again pressing. It was the lightest of pressure really, but there was no mistaking it. Her hand now sat, her palm beating like a heart, gently, softly, yet continuously as it lay against my penis!

I almost bounded up off the bed. My mind was a whirl of mixed emotions, confusion, yet I continued to sit there, once again telling myself that what I was feeling, thinking, wasn't at all what it was. I was again disgusted with myself for even imagining it, though the look on my own face must have carried over to Madeline, as I somehow managed to look her in the eye, seeking some form of assurance I hadn't lost my mind...or worse, that she had!

There was indeed a look of sadness there, but it wasn't a sadness directed towards me, as much as at me, as though she herself had somehow offended me in some way.

"Madeline, I know you can understand me; we've, or rather I, have sat here talking to you before, and I know by the look in your eyes, that you do indeed understand me, and have even communicated with me in a way whenever we've done that. So...I'm going to ask you to do something for me, if you do indeed know what I mean, what I'm saying, then I want you to blink once for no, and twice for yes. Ok?"

Madeline blinked twice, and I again saw the brightness and recognition coming back into her face, though more so her eyes as she lay there looking at me.

"Madeline, could you...did you see me through the window earlier?"

Once again she blinked twice. I swallowed, hard.

"Do you know what I was doing?" This time, she didn't just blink twice, but four times in succession, rapidly. Her eyes grew wide, there was even excitement in them, and again, another emotion I hadn't seen before, until now. I was again dumbfounded by all this, not at all sure what to think about, or make of it. As I sat there, I felt movement in her hand once again as she managed to lift it, placing it over mine, I gripped her hand, felt her pull it, and knew as she did there was reason and purpose behind it, thus letting her do so, though giving her motion to it myself at her direction.

"You want me to do something for you?" I asked, as Madeline again blinked twice. Her strength wavering, though she fought with every ounce of it that she had left as she seemingly pulled on my hand, helping her as she did, following her movement, guiding her until it came to rest upon her, upon her breast.

"Madeline?" I said looking at her, where she again blinked twice. "You want me to...to...touch you?" I asked, not believing I had actually heard myself say that.

Two blinks.

With my hand lightly resting on her breast, I felt her grip release, much as it was, and then again movement as she managed to coax her arm back towards her side where it now rested comfortably. I watched as her eyes closed, her breath suddenly quickening.

"My God!" I thought. "She can't mean what I think she means, can she?" I sat there for a moment, unmoving, her eyes once again opening, this time showing me an almost pleading expression in them as I looked down on her. But I continued to sit, my hand remaining where it was yes, but motionless. I could just see Janice coming home, or someone else walking in, catching me. I envisioned myself being hauled away in handcuffs, thrown into a jail cell, and them throwing away the key. I'd be convicted for molesting Madeline against her wishes, and even if she was to somehow convey to them she had wanted it, I'd still be convicted for doing it anyway as Madeline was obviously in no condition to know what she was doing either.

"God Madeline! I can't!"

One Blink

"No."

One Blink, then two blinks, and then two more blinks in rapid succession once again.

I cupped her breast, heard her sigh and watched as her eyes closed once again. Dressed in the simple shift she was wearing, she was very thinly covered by the soft flannel material, immediately evident that she was wearing no bra as I continued to sit there, softly touching and caressing her breast. To my surprise, I felt the hardness of her nipple now pressing through the material, I allowed my finger to dance upon it, gliding about in small short feathery circles upon it, her breathing again intensified as I did so.

Even as she lay there in the bed, she seemed to squirm contentedly as much as she could manage. "Does it feel good?" I asked. She opened her eyes, and though she didn't at first blink I could see from them as she looked at me that it did. I reached up, placing my other hand on her neglected breast, now likewise caressing and teasing that one, both nipples now responding, her eyes once again closed as she slipped into a revelry of relaxation and peacefulness that I couldn't begin to comprehend or understand.

I touched and caressed her ever so softly and slowly for a very long time, until I heard the sound of her gentle, peaceful snoring as she drifted off to sleep. Quietly I stood, leaving the room, and went back down the stairs where only minutes after that Janice returned.

#

We had taken our meal upstairs in Madeline's room, Janice feeding her mother small bite sized portions, much of which she had had to mash up together, more liquid than solid, though I am sure it must have tasted as good to Madeline as it did to us. I went back down the stairs shortly after that, as Janice prepared her mother for bed, joining me a short time later.

"Wow, she's already asleep," Janice told me. "I haven't seen her that relaxed since I got here!"

I could only smile. "You know, you can talk to her," I stated. "She can communicate, with her eyes," I explained further, though without going into detail as to what it was we actually did talk about, I did tell her that Madeline had answered me in simple blinks of her eyes to yes and no questions."

Janice was excited to hear this of course, chastising herself that she hadn't considered that earlier before now. "And something else too," she told me just as excitedly. "She made a sound tonight that I haven't heard her make before. Honestly Mark, I thought she was actually trying to talk to me!"

"What did she say, or rather what was the sound?" I asked.

"Well, she did struggle with it at first, but I could tell she wasn't choking, or coughing or anything like that. But she did stick her tongue out just a little, I thought at first that her lips were dry, and that she wanted me to put some ointment on them for her, but then she did this soft T F sound, or something, but it sounded like "thff" or something like that anyway."

"Thff?"

"Yeah, but then after that...she also made an 'o' sound, and that was an 'o' sound easily understandable.

"Thff O?" Hmmm, I wonder what she was trying to say.

Many Feathers
Many Feathers
10,436 Followers
12