Politics & Prejudice Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You're getting good." I said. "I might just tell the Fire Department to promote you to Assistant Fire Chief."

"I'll remember that when I'm busting your ass during the Police Boxing Matches." Cindy said. If all went well, we wouldn't meet until the finals on June 4th, but Cindy was anticipating that already.

"Well, I have to just make it to that point." I said. "I don't have the quick and easy path like you do..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 1:00am, I got a call on my personal cellphone. Bowser was not pleased, and his barking made that point crystal clear.

"Troy." I said, taking the call...

Part 9 - Plan In Motion

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded reporterette from in front of the bombed out Community Center at 7:00am, Friday, May 20th. "Channel Two News has learned that there are no new leads in the bombing of the Community Center yesterday. The FBI has been called into the case, but do not believe this is an act of domestic terrorism. Asked about the future plans of the site, Councilman Thomas P. Cook said this. Roll tape."

The tape rolled, showing Thomas P. Cook talking to a gaggle of reporters, Priya Ajmani right there next to him. He said "This does not change our plans at all. We intend to sell this property to the highest bidder for future development that will bring jobs and tax revenues to the County."

"What about the elderly people and the Community Center?" asked Priya loudly.

"They were going to have to find a new place anyway." said Cook. "And now that's even more apparent."

"Does it bother you that a lot of people could've been killed in that explosion?" yelled Bettina.

"No one was hurt." said Cook. "So your question is moot, pointless. Okay, come to the Council meeting Tuesday to see the final disposal of the property."

Bettina came back on live. "Asked for comment, Commander Donald Troy praised Captain Cindy Ross for her quick action in evacuating the Community Center in time to save everyone's lives. Fortunately there were no casualties."

For God's sake, I thought, give Cindy more than half a sentence, would you, Bettina? Hmmm, have I mentioned that I really, really hate the Press?

"In other news," Bettina went on, "there are no new leads in the case of two Town & County firemen who were found dead the night before last. Lt. Scott Peterson, Press Relations Officer, issued a statement that the Police do not think the men were murdered because they were Firemen, but are working on the possibility that the attacks were race-related. Both victims were black men."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"All right," said Chief Moynahan. "I've had about enough of Peterson." We were in the Chief's office, with Cmdr. Della Harlow also present. "I am going to begin the paperwork to suspend him, which the Union was grieve, and we'll fight like hell over it. Unless one of you two have a suggestion?"

I smiled. "I believe I do, Chief. Take a look at these." I handed the Chief a manila envelope. He handed the contents to Della, who gasped.

"Commander," she said, "I know you're a man of integrity... but you are no Boy Scout."

"No ma'am," I said, "I am not." The contents of the envelope were steamy and salacious photos of Priya Ajmani giving Scott Peterson a hot, wet blowjob.

Eddie the Bounty Hunter had come through for me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Lt. Scott Peterson came into the Chief's conference room under the orders of Chief Moynahan. The Chief was sitting at the end of the table, me to his left, facing the door, Della to my left.

"Have a seat, Lieutenant." said the Chief. "And be advised that this is a formal discussion of your actions making an unauthorized statement to the Media. You may have a Union representative, if you wish."

"What statement is that, Chief?" he asked.

"You do not go and tell the Media that we're looking at the racial angle of a murder case, not without my personal blessing. Both Commanders here have been well-advised of that, also." said Moynahan.

"But that's what it's about, isn't it, Chief?" said Peterson.

"Why would you go and tell the Press?" asked Della Harlow. "You jeopardized the investigation, you've possibly stirred up racial discord unnecessarily. So why did you tell the Press that?"

Peterson said "I don't see what the problem is. If those Firemen were murdered because they were black, the Public has a right to know."

"Am I hearing this correctly?" I asked. "You sound like a reporter. Whose side are you on?"

"With all due respect, Commander Troy, it's not about sides, we're not at war with the Press."

"I beg to differ." I said. "Our relationship with them is adversarial. They know it, we know it. They enjoy endangering our mission and our lives. I have little respect and NO trust of the Media, and I thought you understood what they're really all about."

"I disagree with you about them enjoying endangering our mission, and I do have respect for them and the job they're trying to do." said Peterson. "Without the Press, our whole democracy breaks down."

"If they were doing their jobs," I said, "I might agree with you. But they're not. They abuse their First Amendment Rights so badly that our Republic is in danger of being destroyed by a corrupt collusion of the Media and the Establishments of both political parties, and working together against the American People. Today's Press is agenda-driven, not news-driven. They create news, not report it. But we're not here now to have a theoretical discussion, Peterson. I'm well aware of why you're doing what you're doing."

With that, I threw the file envelope on the table in front of Peterson. "Look at those." He opened the envelope, took out the photos, and gasped as he looked at him. His face turned crimson red... then his shock turned to deep anger.

"What is this?" he thundered. "Are you spying on me?"

"These came through an anonymous tipster." I said. "But it's their content that's important. Priya Ajmani is really going to work on your cock, there, Peterson. Now I can understand you wanting to have sex with a woman as beautiful as she is... it's just the quid pro quo deals coming from your liaisons with her that are the problem."

"So what?" snarled Peterson. "Captain Ross had an affair with her, too." Della looked shocked at that.

"Captain Ross did not go and give the Media unauthorized statements." I countered. "You've been doing quite a bit of that lately."

"And it's going to stop." said the Chief. "Peterson, when I begin putting together the paperwork to have you suspended and fired... these photographs will be what keeps the Union from trying to save your worthless ass. Fortunately for you, Commander Troy... not Commander Harlow but Commander Troy... has suggested an alternative to kicking your ass onto the street..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello, Priya." I said as I sat at a sandwich shop on the south side of Courthouse Square, at one of the outside tables. Cindy was sitting next to me. "Have a seat."

"Why should I?" Priya asked with an unfriendly voice.

"Do you want KSTD to get their credentials back?" I asked.

"We're going to get them back anyway. Leahy will overturn any Court decision in your favor." Priya said. "Besides, I heard of that nasty stunt you pulled on Scott Peterson, getting some P.I. to take pictures of me blowing him. I've got nothing for you."

"Priya," Cindy said with authority, "shut the fuck up and sit down. Why do you have to keep making everything so frickin' hard? And I'm not talking about Peterson's puny cock." I burst out laughing at that one. Priya gave Cindy a withering look... but she sat down.

"Here's the deal." I said. "You get your credentials back if you agree to behave and stop the slanderous attacks during press conferences... and you cover a little news event for this afternoon... in a way favorable to the People, not the Politicians..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 2:30pm, there was a large gathering in the northwest corner of Courthouse Square. The bombed-out remains of the Community Center could be seen on the other side of the street from City Hall from here.

"We are gathered to announce," said Mrs. Myrtle L. James, "that the Community Center will be rebuilt, and very quickly. We have many friends that have volunteered to help in many ways..."

The contractor who had rebuilt the Cabin for me, named George, came to the podium. "We will rebuild the Community Center at only the cost of materials. My employees have agreed to donate their time to this effort."

The Electrical & Builders Union, Local 684, president stepped up. "We are proud to be able to support our many elderly friends, some of who are war veterans, by agreeing to help rebuild the Community Center at no pay, and we are glad to defray some of the costs by donating materials."

Other businessmen came up, volunteering to donate materials at cost, and others said they would donate money. The Kiwanis Club, the Ladies Auxiliary Club, and other groups pledged support. The Boy Scouts said they would be holding a drive this weekend to raise money to help rebuild the Community Center.

I was very proud of my adopted Town & County as I watched, seeing them gather together and pull together. The only issue was getting the land... and you know that Your Iron Crowbar had a plan for that...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What the hell was that about?" snarled Thomas P. Cook at Priya Ajmani as they finished covering the conference.

"The community is coming together to support our elderly and our veterans." Priya said cheerfully. "Can I get an official comment from you, Councilman Cook?"

Cook just stared at Priya for a moment, then stalked off.

Part 10 - Counterattack

"Okay, this is an emergency meeting of the Town & County Council, in executive session." said the Mayor as the Council met that Friday evening in their 'private' meeting room. "The issue of the Community Center and its land is the subject of the meeting. By the way, it's good to see you back, Pastor Westboro. We missed you."

"Thank you, Mr. Mayor." said Westboro. "It was a wonderful trip, but I'm pleased to be back among friends and the Flock."

"As are we." said the Mayor. "With the announcement today of the plans to rebuild, and to get the money through donations, we're going to have to move very fast."

"We can have the building permit blocked." said Thomas P. Cook. "If they try to so much as lay a brick, we can have them arrested."

"Who are you going to call to enforce that?" said John Colby, who had not been called to attend but got wind of the meeting at the last moment. "The Iron Crowbar?"

"Yes!" said Kelly Carnes, decisively and derisively. "He either upholds the law of this County, or he can turn in his badge. If he does neither, we'll run him out on a rail."

"Using brute force to get your way, and running over the elderly to get there?" replied Dagmar Schoen. "Not to mention threatening Council Members not in jackbooted lockstep with your plans for personal enrichment?"

"Now, Mrs. Schoen," said the Mayor, "let's stop the recriminations. There are no threats here. However, the sale of the Community Center property will put needed revenue into the County's coffers, and will further help the County and the People as tax revenue from businesses there pour in. As it is now, we're not making a dime from having that Community Center there. We have all of our Citizens to think of."

"Hell, I've been a farmer all my life." said John Colby in his deep baritone voice, "and I've never been around that much horse shit. Spare us the platitudes, Mr. Mayor. We all know that Thomas Cook is pushing this to get the property for his own company, using his Council seat for personal financial gain."

"Are you accusing me of---" started Cook with his well-worn reply.

"YES!" shouted Colby. "Yes, I'm accusing you of graft!... unless you go on the record saying that neither you nor your companies will have any part of the bidding on that property. Are you willing to do that?"

"Mr. Cook is doing nothing illegal." said Pastor Westboro. "We must be careful in our speech here, Mr. Colby."

"This is exactly why the People no longer have faith in their Government, at any level." said Ian McGhillie. "Spare me the layers of legalese, Pastor. This looks dirty. It smells dirty. It's dirty."

"I don't give a shit what it looks like." said Cook. "It's not illegal, and I say we proceed with this. Let's have the second reading of the bill. Now."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"It's set for Monday, on the Courthouse steps." said John Colby. He and Dagmar Schoen were sitting with me, Cindy, and Chief Moynahan in the Chief's conference room at 10:00am, Saturday, May 21st. Cindy and I had both won our Police Boxing Matches contests earlier in the morning. We would be attending the memorial for the Fire Department men later in the day.

"This has all been done under some serious stretching of the rules and law." said Dagmar Schoen. "The first vote was in executive session, and was misrepresented as studying it, not doing it. Then last night's second reading of the bill was done in an unannounced meeting, which I think violates our procedures of having meetings, much less passing a bill."

"Like deeming a bill to be passed, when it really wasn't." I said.

"Exactly. The vote was 7-3." said Colby. "McGhillie voted with us, but even Goldman and Steele went with the pack. And I mean that literally: they are a pack of wolves, salivating over this property. I have no idea what that's about."

"It's a choice piece of Downtown land." I said. "With City Hall across the street and the Courthouse across the Square, lawyers would pay top dollar for an office building there."

"You should've been in real estate." said Dagmar.

"I am, and so is Captain Ross, here.." I said. "We just do our purchases legitimately, and not through force or fraud."

"I get a sense it's more than that with these guys, though." said Colby. "So what do we do next? We could file a lawsuit, we could make an ethics complaint to the State... but that'll take time, and Leahy of the Appellate Court might just let things go forward, and by the time our case is heard, it'll be a moot point."

"When is the auction?" I asked.

"Monday morning, 9:00am." said Colby. "On the Courthouse steps." Well... there's a small room at the front of the Courthouse complex as one enters it. Inside, sheltered, but officially designated part of the front porch and the 'Courthouse steps'. The auction would be in that room.

I smiled. "Well, I guess we'll see what happens then."

Everyone saw the look in my eyes, and nodded. They knew that Your Iron Crowbar had a plan.

"Okay, if y'all will excuse me," I said, getting up, "I have a mass murder to prevent."

"What?!" gasped the Chief. "Care to tell your boss about this first?..."

Part 11 - Race War Interdiction

I strode into MCD, Cindy following. Teresa brought Julie Newton and Christopher Purvis over from Vice. The Chief also came in to listen.

"Okay, guys," I said, taking a chair and placing it in the middle of the room as everyone sat at desks, "I think I know what is going on with these murders. Someone killed them, with the idea that a memorial service would be held. The perp or perps intend to kill more Firemen, probably targeting black ones, though they may use a bomb. I've already arranged with Fire Chief Quinlin to postpone the service until tomorrow, and that will be announced about 30 minutes before the event. We've got drones in the air looking for snipers on buildings around the A.M.E. Church, we're going to have bomb-sniffing dogs go in, and we're watching for suspicious personnel in the area."

"What's the purpose of all this?" asked Theo Washington.

"Someone is trying to start a race war." I said. "They kill some blacks, they say it's the former EMTs, but then gin it up to make that sound like an excuse. Then we have chaos and looting and burning buildings, the Media comes in, agitates it even more, the Feds and the State come in, and it becomes just a sheer fucking mess. I prefer to not lose any lives, and keep the God-damned SBI out of here."

"Okay," I said, "Newton, have you found any more on Three Brothers Trucking?"

"They did deposit $1500 into their bank account yesterday." Julie said.

"Okay, bomb-sniffing dogs need to check out every one of their trucks. Theo, lead that operation, but only after the dogs finish at the A.M.E. Church. Croyle, lead the mission at the Church."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What?!?!" he gasped. "No, no, no, no..." He regained his composure, then let his great mind go to work for a moment. "Okay, here's what you need to do... you need to get this thing called off... no, goddammit, it's too near our other operation, the big one, Operation Apple Grove... okay, goodbye."

My God, he thought to himself, I cannot believe any of this. What are these dolts doing? Do I have to guide them by the hand every step of the way on this?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Two burners." said Myron Milton. We were in his cubicle in what was once Lt. Masters's office next to Cindy's. Mary was at her desk in her cubicle, as well.

"One from just north of here." said Myron. "It's gone now, must've been disconnected completely."

"Probably physically destroyed." I said. "And the other?"

"Cell tower by the Bus Station." said Myron. "It's a weird thing, though... it didn't triangulate on other cell towers. Specialized stuff. Anyway, it's gone now, too."

"That tower serves half the University as well as the north and east parts of Town. Dr. Wellman's office, Thomas P. Cook's office..." I said. Then I added: "You know, criminals could really beat the shit out of us if they started using landlines again." Mary laughed.

"Yes sir," she said, "but nobody has a landline anymore. Not hardly. Anyone using one now is considered suspicious." That was humor, but there was an element of truth to it.

"Okay, I'll be in my office." I said. I suited the deed to my word and went there. Some minutes later, Cindy Ross came in. Behind her was a decrepit old man concealing a videocamera under his ragged coat. He was actually Detective Grubby Paul of the TCPD Vice Squad, and a master of disguise himself. And behind him was The Widow Athena Jones, in her final appearance in such wear... at least that was her promise to me.

Cindy gave me the thumbs-up. One more piece of the puzzle had fallen into place.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The four men got into position in the building opposite the A.M.E. Church. They looked out the windows of the top floor, which was all storage space and full of clutter and dust. A lot of dust.

Their high-powered rifles and auto-pistols were fitted with silencers They knew their first shots would blow out the windows in front of them, and then they intended to pump bullets into as many black firefighters and other blacks as they could see. Then it would be a race to the basement and the sewer drain into the labyrinth of passages below, and their escape made.

The leader of the group, former Assistant Fire Chief Jefferson, had the men get in position. The memorial service would be starting soon, and...

The cold steel of the muzzle of a rifle slid along his neck. "FBI. Drop your weapons." said a masked man quietly. He was heavily armored as were his fellow Special Agents. Jefferson looked around, seeing that his men were also at the mercy of the Feds...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

My phone rang at 2:05pm. "We got 'em." said FBI Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone. "Four men, including Jefferson, like you figured. You may not like it, but we're taking them to the City for interrogation."