The Key

Story Info
She looked for the right one all of her life.
27.5k words
4.61
46k
17
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Many Feathers
Many Feathers
10,479 Followers

Authors note: As very special favor for some very special friends, I've been asked to resubmit a couple of my older stories once listed under Thesandman. It is not my intention to submit all or many of my older works, but for those who have truly supported and appreciated my writing over the years, I have relented to do so. Additionally, I will not turn voting on for any of these, as they have had their moment in the sun so to speak.

But for those of you who've asked: Resubmitted

The Key

By: Thesandman/Many Feathers

Miranda Jones, a shorthaired brunette with a pixie-like face has searched all her life for the right, special someone. Little does she know that the key to that very happiness exists within a small corner shop, catering to those who collect odd items, or who enjoy browsing through antiques, most of which seemingly have no purpose.

The discovery of a tiny tarnished key barely clinging to an old worn out silver chain is about to change her life forever.

#

As she'd been doing nearly every Friday for the past three years, Miranda stood waiting patiently in front of the small, cozy little sidewalk café waiting for her two friends. She had known Silvia and Darlene for several years, though she considered Darlene as truly her very best friend having known one another in high school. Now at just over forty years of age, though looking much younger than that herself much to the chagrin of her two companions, Miranda spotted them on the sidewalk heading her way. She waved, watching as they spotted her waving back.

Moments later they reached her side giving one another a kiss on the cheek in greeting. "Morning M.J.!" Darlene called out smiling. She had called her that ever since high school, only then her last name had been Jenkins, not Jones. Miranda smiled to herself, wondering if Darlene would have continued calling her "M.J.", even if she hadn't gotten married to a man with the same last initial in his name.

"Hey Darlene, Sil!" Miranda answered back, abbreviating Silvia's name just as Darlene always had, something she had herself picked up on shortly after being introduced to her. Silvia and Darlene worked at the same law office, which is where they had met, soon after introducing her to Miranda where they began their weekly get-togethers at the café.

Like Salt and Pepper shakers, Miranda had often thought of her two friends in just such a way. Darlene, with a fair almost alabaster complexion, though her hair was dark, worn long and nearly coal black. Silvia on the other hand, her skin a deep rich creamy looking chocolate color, hair short, though bleached nearly a platinum blonde standing well near six feet and looking every bit the model she once had been during her teenage years.

"Shall we?" Silvia asked leading the way without waiting to be shown to a table.

Though it was mid-June, the early morning air was crisp, cool, though the sun was already promising to chase away the cold morning air with a hint of warmth already peeking through the treetops. Miranda drew the button down sweater she had worn closer about her neck though refusing to button it in an effort to ward off the chill as she followed her two companions toward their seats.

Miranda had already secured their favorite table for them upon arriving with a simple nod towards the waiter. The same pimply-faced kid that had been serving them for month's now receiving a more than generous tip for ensuring that their favorite table was 'unofficially' reserved each Friday morning whether they arrived for their morning coffee and pastries or not.

As was customary, they held off sharing any recent news or on-goings about their respective lives until after having first given their orders. When 'Chuck' finally ambled away to get their coffee's, Darlene leaned over closer towards Miranda, whispering just low enough that no one beyond Silvia sitting across from her could over hear.

"You might want to do something about dousing those head-lights M.J.," she began. "Otherwise, old Chucky-baby is apt to hang around our table all morning long!"

Miranda took a quick, very brief glance down at her chest, already knowing what to expect. She'd felt her nipples harden considerably just moments before her friend's arrival. And it hadn't been due to the chill of the morning air, though no doubt that had contributed to keeping them firm and erect afterwards. What she hadn't mentioned, and doubted that she even would, was the young handsome dark haired man that had stood to leave just as she herself had arrived. He'd done nothing more than to smile briefly, nodding towards her. But the penetrating look he had given her had been deliciously received. She'd felt her body respond of its own accord, without rhyme, without reason for it. "A simple look", she'd mused moments after he'd passed her by, not even giving her a second look until reaching the corner of the street before crossing. Only then had he looked back, caught her looking towards him and smiled once again. Miranda had felt her face flush in confused, unjustified excitement. But for the briefest of moments, time had stood still and she had found herself standing there being kissed by this strangely attractive looking man.

Miranda tugged the sweater she was wearing more firmly around herself actually doing up three of the five buttons, just enough to place enough material over her blouse and adequately hide the aroused state that her nipples were in.

Darlene was smiling. "I didn't think it was that cold!" she said with a mischievous grin. "Or do you actually have some secret fantasy you've been harboring over Chucky baby," she finished with a suggestive tease.

One of the things Miranda loved most about her dear sweet friend was her uninhibited openness, something of which she herself possessed, but usually reserved for the bedroom. Darlene on the other hand, had a suggestive charm about her nature that bordered on the extreme. She had the talent and the ability to call another woman a 'slut' to her face, and have it come off sounding like the most heartfelt compliment ever given. Most often Miranda would see her sit back, or stand there with a 'Mona Lisa' smile upon her face, as though only she knew the secret behind the comment just given. But after years of coming to know her friend as well as she had, Miranda more often than not heard the true meanings behind the words whenever Darlene delivered one of her deliciously wicked diatribes without her unsuspecting victim being any the wiser.

And not that she herself hadn't fallen victim to one or two of Darlene's naughtily wicked assaults upon her either! More than anyone, Miranda knew that she could trust Darlene implicitly with whatever secrets or thoughts she might share. No matter how decadent, or innocent they might be. It had been over two years ago that she had first confided in her friend that her sex-life had all but disappeared. She and her husband had not been intimate in all that time, a situation that had gradually gotten worse though she'd made every effort imaginable to correct it. Eventually, with frustration setting in, and the worry that she had perhaps failed somehow in their marriage, or worse...that perhaps her husband was off having an affair with another woman, Miranda had found herself pouring her heart out to her friend in hopes of receiving some kind of advise that would help her towards making some sort of decision.

And though Darlene had in fact counseled her, giving Miranda a wide variety of options and choices to think about, she'd added one more little option in the manner that Miranda should have known better, and been on guard about.

They had met for lunch at a posh restaurant, it had been Miranda's turn to treat, and as it was also a special occasion of sorts, the day that she and Darlene had first become friends, it was a date they yearly celebrated with a fancy dinner or lunch together. This year, it was Miranda's turn to buy.

She'd gotten up a short time previous, excusing herself to use the restroom. Unlike a lot of women, she'd not taken her purse with her into the bathroom leaving it comfortably parked on the chair between them where Darlene could stand guard over it for her, though not as though she had too. Upon her return, and in preparation of retrieving her wallet, she'd fished inside her purse, discovering a long slim object that she knew full well hadn't previously been there before. Without thinking, she withdrew the devise holding it up within her hand for closer inspection, totally unaware of its true purpose or nature gazing at it curiously much to the sudden delight and laughter of her friend.

"Ah Miranda? You might want to put that back inside your purse," she suggested. "I wanted to surprise you with a little something to help you with that problem we were discussing a few days ago."

Miranda gave Darlene a questioning look, then as realization began to dawn on her, she found herself blushing furiously, dropping the thin silver object onto the table where it began to hum, buzz, and bounce upon the table as though having a mind of its own. Darlene shrieked with peels of laughter, watching Miranda desperately reaching out to recapture what must have looked to many within the restaurant as a writhing snake somehow having been smuggled in and set free.

A few nearby giggles from other patrons as those who knew and were obviously well aware of what the thing was, began snickering as well. There were however a few astonished voices rising with abject indignation at the bizarre spectacle taking place.

Ever since then, Miranda had learned to be a lot more careful in the future against any more of Darlene's hidden naughty little surprises.

After receiving their coffee's and fresh pastries, the three of them had finally gotten down to business, catching one another up on the weeks events, their lives, and for desert, the latest naughty gossip, though lately, Miranda had found herself having very little to share by way of amusing antidote, most often content to add a thought here or there only in passing. She considered briefly mentioning the good looking dark haired man that had been the real cause behind her hardened nipples, deciding at the last moment not to, suddenly feeling silly about it, if not somewhat embarrassed that she could find herself so overwhelmingly aroused over hardly nothing.

"Hey! We've still got a half hour before we have to head to the office this morning," Silvia began. "There's this really neat antique shop I want to show the two of you."

Darlene balked at the thought initially; she really wasn't into collecting or browsing around through antiques. Silvia on the other hand had by in large, decorated her entire apartment in antique furniture, much of which Miranda found extremely interesting to look at and wonder about. Though she herself appreciated some of the pieces, also shying away from buying anything really antique herself.

"It's not just an antique furniture store either Darlene!" Silvia said seeing the rolled-eyed look on her friends face at the mention of it. "They've got all sorts of neat, weird looking stuff in there. Everything from books to gadgets, even toys I haven't seen anyplace else in years!"

At the mere mention of the word "books", Miranda knew Darlene was hooked. She collected first editions of anything she could get her hands on.

Miranda soon discovered that the store was less than a block away from the café. She had passed it a hundred times without once giving it a second thought, or even a second look. So often she'd gazed at the store briefly in passing, surmising it to be more, one of those palm-reader, or novelty shops rather than what the sign said as she found herself really reading it for the first time.

"Vickie's treasure chest".

Miranda followed Silvia through the small door into the shop, noticing when she did that it needed a fresh coat of paint, chipped, weather worn just as the dimly lit interior of the shop suggested upon entering. The faint sound of bells jingling to announce the arrival of customers greeting them familiarly as it took a moment or more for Miranda's eyes to adjust to the much dimmer light even at this hour of the morning.

Even with the announcement of the bells, Miranda noticed that no one stood behind the cluttered, semi-dirty counter to greet or wait on them. Silvia immediately directing Darlene over to a pile of dusty, worn looking books that rather than shelved and put on display in any semblance of order, stood stacked in haphazard piles, some toppling over onto others, many dusty with titles and covers obscured. Even so, Darlene approached them with the enthusiasm of a child discovering gifts beneath the tree on Christmas morning.

"Over here!" Silvia said leading Miranda over to one of the very few glass displays that appeared to contain the perhaps more valuable bobbles and novelties of the store. She ran her hands atop the glass, discovering the case to be unlocked, easily accessible. Almost immediately, her curiosity and interest drawn towards an antique looking hairbrush. The handle of which was either ivory or bone, many of the bristles now missing, but of note, a single strand of what appeared to be long reddish-blonde hair clinging to what remained of the bristles as though desperately willing to remain as the only surviving member to what had once been its owners gently caring hair brush.

Miranda could almost picture the image of a young woman, sitting before her vanity mirror, gently combing out her long tresses just before retiring to bed. A smile upon the woman's face as she sat brushing her hair, the thought of a young suitor perhaps, still fresh upon her mind, or perhaps the romance story she'd just finished reading, leaving her breathless with images of a romantic interlude, or some knight in shining armor sweeping her off her feet and riding off towards the sunset with her.

Next to the brush, what appeared to be a hand held mirror, though no mirror now existed within the exquisitely carved frame. The palest of tiny pink roses dancing about the framework, interleafed with what appeared to be tiny elves, or perhaps fairies of some sort. An interesting contrast as though someone had had trouble deciding which of the two was the more intricate of design.

"Wow! Look at this!" Silvia exclaimed reaching into the glass case, retrieving what appeared to be a tiny silver key attached to an old, well worn and tarnished chain. "It looks hand made!" she added after a moments fondling of the almost too tiny, too delicate key no bigger than the size of her thumbnail. Yet, molded so perfectly, so intricately with tiny carvings actually embedded within the design of the key itself.

"It is!" both Miranda and Silvia heard turning to face the strange voice that had startled them both, Silvia, nearly dropping the tiny key onto the floor, fumbling briefly with it for a moment before securing it tightly within the palm of her hand.

Miranda felt herself blushing self-consciously, wondering if they should have even been pawing around at the items within the glass enclosed display, even though it hadn't been locked.

"Beautiful little thing isn't it?" the woman asked without a hint of anger in her tone of voice, though she held out her hand towards Silvia, who promptly allowed the tiny silver key to fall from her hand into that of the proprietors.

"Sorry, ah Mrs.," Miranda stated for the both of them, even though she herself hadn't been the one holding the key.

"Cravenstance," the older looking woman replied with an awkward smile as though her name even made her grimace whenever saying it. Silvia almost laughed in spite of herself, quickly covering her mouth will the ball of her fist.

Not only did the woman have an odd sounding name, but even her features reminded them both of a stork. Nearly as thin as the bird with the same name, Mrs. Cravenstance's hair was thin, wispy and combed straight back atop of her head and slicked down with god knows what, giving her a just gotten out of the shower look.

Her nose was just as equally big, long though narrow, and pointed at the tip almost as though it had been purposely sculpted that way.

"Do you like it?" the old woman asked once again holding up the key so they could both see it.

"It is interesting," Miranda had to admit, examining the tiny charm as it hung almost dangerously from its precarious little chain swinging back and forth as though the old woman were making some attempt at hypnotizing her into buying it.

Spotting an even smaller tiny white tag attached to the chain itself, Miranda reached out towards it without thinking, as though drawn to it having actually been lulled into a hypnotic trance.

The old woman let the tiny chain and key drop into Miranda's outstretched hand. She immediately fished for the tag, turning it over and examining the simple numbers showing on the other side. She let out a surprised breath of air upon seeing the price tag.

"Wow!" Miranda stated already beginning to hand back the tiny trinket before she damaged it in anyway, having then to actually buy the piece though she found herself actually considering it. "Two hundred and fifty dollars?" she blurted out before realizing how insensitive that must have sounded to Mrs. Cravenstance. "I mean it's certainly worth it!" she amended quickly, "But my husband would kill me if he were to learn I'd spent that kind of money on something like this without first discussing it with him!"

Even that was a lie, and she knew it. She had her own personal budget that she kept for just such kind of things, though in truth, it would mean she'd have to cut back on her more expensive lunches for a couple of weeks.

By now, Silvia had managed to disengage herself from the awkwardness of the situation by pretending to browse through a selection of paintings that were again haphazardly standing along one wall.

"What would you offer for it?" the old woman asked suddenly, catching Miranda off guard.

Miranda laughed, she'd noticed the sign out front posted by the door when they first came in. "No Checks, No Credit...Cash only!"

"I'm not sure I even have fifty dollars on me at the moment anyway," she stated offhandedly, sure that the mention of whatever real cash she did have on herself would end any bartering over the piece.

"Done!" the old lady said dropping the key and chain back into the tiny box it had sat in previously before handing it over to Miranda, smiling.

Surprised, unable to even speak, Miranda quickly opened her purse fishing out the two twenties she knew she had, along with a handful of ones. "Ah...Darlene? You have a couple of dollars I can borrow?" she asked.

Darlene was already rummaging around in her own purse as she approached her friend. "Sure sweetie! What'd you buy anyway?" she asked curiously. Miranda handed her the tiny box accepting the five Darlene gave her.

Moments later, Mrs. Cravenstance came back with a few coins as her change, pressing the meager tokens into Miranda's hand. "Some believe that there is Magic in this shop. Perhaps there is. There is a little bit of everyone, of past lives, past loves that remain and continue to exist within the memories of those things we all cherished or once held dear. Perhaps you my dear, will find the happiness you seek. Let the key be your guide to unlock the secrets towards that which you have long sought after."


Before Miranda could as much as utter a single word, the old woman turned disappearing into the back room as though knowing whatever business there had been was completed. There would be no more sales from this group of women today at least.

Almost as quietly as they had all entered, they left. Miranda already fingering the tiny silver key as they hurriedly exited the store.

"Kinda spooky isn't she?" Silvia stated the moment they were out of earshot of being over heard. "It really is a neat store though, I've purchased a number of things that I've found interesting for one reason or another. I guess, they buy out old estates and such, then sell whatever they can to make a profit from what they're able to bargain the family's down for who don't have the time or patience to try and sell everything off themselves."

Many Feathers
Many Feathers
10,479 Followers
123456...8