We'll Always Have Paris Ch. 03

Story Info
Tensions rise; Don and Laura are given awards.
11.9k words
4.79
8.5k
7

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/09/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series.

The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography. Stories after Ethical Dilemmas are: We'll Always Have Paris.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 11 - Anger and Retribution (continued)

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, September 10th, from in front of the Courthouse complex. "In a huge victory for the Media over the abusive tactics of Police Commander Donald Troy, our reporter Amber Harris has reached a plea deal with District Attorney Gil Krasney!"

"In the agreement," Bettina said, a huge smile on her face, "the charges of assaulting police officers have been dropped, and the domestic violence and disturbing the peace charges are reduced to one misdemeanor count each. D.A. Krasney also is asking for a suspended sentence and a fine of $10,000, which her insurance or KXTC could pay on her behalf. D.A. Krasney explained his rationale for the plea deal. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Krasney grinning happily as he said "It really came down to Commander Donald Troy being at the scene. Just think about it: the TCPD's second-highest-ranking Police Officer, after the Chief, personally responded to a domestic disturbance call, which is more than unusual. And considering Commander Troy's incredibly hostile actions against the Press, his presence at reporter Amber Harris's home was a lightning rod in a storm. If Troy had not been there, I believe this domestic dispute would've been resolved with charges only against Mrs. Harris's husband. The charges against him remain in place; clearly he was the one at fault in the domestic disturbance."

"However," said Bettina as she came back on live, "Judge Rodney K. Watts did not agree. Upon hearing of the plea deal for Mrs. Harris, and in an audacious display of disrespect of women's rights and the plight of abused women in domestic incidents, Judge Watts completely dropped all charges against Mr. Harris with prejudice, meaning they cannot be re-filed. In a statement issued by his lawyer, Mr. Harris said he will be continuing his lawsuit against his wife and against KXTC reporter Nick Eastwood. D.A. Krasney said that Judge Watts's actions were 'reprehensible', but he would not appeal the decision."

"And in State News," Bettina went on, "Legislators over the weekend did work out a compromise bill for electing our next Lieutenant Governor. The idea of Party caucuses is part of the package, and those will be held on October 9th. They will be run and paid for by the Parties, who must register their desire to have candidates on the November ballot by close-of-business Friday, October 5th. There will also be no requirement for a runoff; a simple plurality can determine the winner, or multiple ballots may be held at the caucus meetings."

"Some Social Justice groups have complained that because the Parties are counting the ballots, the process could be rampant with fraud and abuse, with no legal recourse." Bettina went on. "State Senator Jimmy Cerone, one of the 'Gang of Eight' and a major architect of the bill, says the caucus will run fairly, just as the Iowa caucuses for Presidential elections have always run."

Bettina continued: "Republicans are furious with the compromise bill, and Representative Wilson Hammonds, Chairman of the powerful State House Ways & Means Committee, has vowed to defeat it. Mr. Hammonds and other Republicans also viciously attacked Governor Val Jared for proposing the caucus idea, calling the Governor a 'traitor to his Party'. And some Democrats expressed reservations in accepting any plan or idea of Governor Jared, not wanting to give him any victory at all going into the November elections."

"Also in State news," said Bettina, "the Special Grand Jury has heard the testimony of former aides to Governor Jared, Steven Fuqua and Alan Davidson. Political experts call their testimony 'damning', and say that what they reveal could lead to the impeachment of Governor Jared next year, when experts say that it's increasingly likely the Democrats will control both Legislative houses and the Lieutenant Governor's seat."

"In national news," said Bettina, "U.S. Senator Samuel Russell returned to Washington as the U.S. Senate reconvened following their August break. The City D.A. had asked Senator Russell to remain in the State while the allegations of rape against the Senator were processed. However, Senator Russell refused, and according to the U.S. Constitution, he could not be stopped from going to Washington to discharge his Senatorial duties."

"And he and other Senators will have plenty to deal with at the Nation's Capitol." Bettina went on. "Several Republican Senators, including our State's Senator Bill Nunn, are demanding that the CIA Director testify to answer allegations that CIA Agents attacked and wounded a Russian national outside the Russian Embassy in Paris, France last week."

"Russian President Putin summoned the U.S. Ambassador to Russia to the Kremlin, to protest the action in what was described as 'the strongest possible terms short of breaking diplomatic relations'." said Bettina. "The CIA has denied any involvement in the attack, which they said they have not confirmed as actually having happened. The CIA Director himself said that the Russians should look at Israel as the nation behind any such attacks, which drew a furious complaint from the Israeli Government.s"

"However," said Bettina, "this is not expected to be a problem for the International Goodwill Hockey Tournament being played at the newly renovated City Arena this weekend. Eight nations, including Canada and Russia, are sending high-school-aged youth teams to participate. The event is being sponsored by international hostess Lilly Wargrave, widow of the late business magnate Henry R. Wargrave, and is one of a series of projects by the Global Peace Initiative and City University's Rodham Institute for Political and Social Change..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Can someone tell me," said Detective Julia Rodriguez as they drank coffee and watched in MCD, "what the difference between a caucus and a convention is? Seems they're just about the same thing."

"Almost." said Roy McGhillie. "I asked Commander Troy the other day. He says the difference is the same as the difference between a Democracy and a Republic."

"Aren't those the same thing?" asked Teddy Parker.

"Not quite." said McGhillie. "Commander Troy says the False News Media has bastardized the terms. In a real Democracy, such as the Athenian Democracy was in ancient history, every citizen votes on every single issue. In a Republic, such as what Britain and America have today, we elect representatives to do that voting on our behalves."

"Likewise," continued Roy, "in a caucus, any Citizen or member of that Party or group can go to the meeting and have a vote. In a Party convention, only delegates or Party insiders can vote for the candidate they want."

"Either way," said Jerome Davis, "it's going to be chaos between the warring factions of the Republican Party."

"Maybe the Democrats, too." said Joanne Warner. "They're starting to show cracks between the hardliners and the Establishment moderates. But they'll coalesce around their candidate once he or she is chosen, while the Conservatives have been known to withhold their votes from the Establishment Republican candidate, like what happened to President George H.W. Bush in 1992."

"So much for the Commander being banned from our coffee klatches." said Theo Washington. "We're still talking politics as much as ever."

"Which is less argumentative than talking Bulldogs and Wildcats football." said Roy McGhillie. Everyone chuckled, but completely agreed...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Chief, Captain Croyle, Captain Perlman, and myself were in my office watching the Bettina report. "Somebody must've given Bettina a good pickle-tickle this weekend." said Tanya with a totally straight face. "That's the most unbiased report we've heard from her in a long, long time... well, except for calling Commander Troy's actions 'abusive'."

I was typing on my iPhone. "Uh oh." said Teresa. "Lock and load one nuclear weapon against Bettina."

"Damn close." I said.

"Let me do it." said the Chief. He got out his Police iPhone and I stated the message I wanted sent. It read: "Commander Troy has not been abusive in any way. If KXTC does not retract that accusation, and if Bettina Wurtzburg does not apologize on air for it, they will be invited to prove their allegations during their slander and libel trials." The Chief hit 'Send', and the Press was duly warned.

"Oh, that's not nuclear." Teresa said, sounding disappointed. "Nuclear is what Cindy was, this morning."

"Hoo boy." said the Chief.

"What do you mean?" asked Tanya.

"You wheeled in late to that party." I said. "Commander Ross is in her office, sulking. She was more than a little displeased about that." I was pointing to the display of American and Israeli Airborne wings on the wall.

Earlier, Cindy had come in. Teresa was wearing civilian attire, so that she could wear her necklace with Airborne wings attached, signifying her as a daughter of a Paratrooper. Of course the Chief was Airborne-qualified himself. But our plans for some humor fell apart when Cindy saw the Israeli wings. She looked skeptically at me as she pointed at the framed display and said "What are those?"

"American and Israeli jump wings." I said. "The American ones were pinned on me at my Airborne School graduation. The Israeli ones are courtesy of the legendary Israeli 55th Paratrooper Regiment after I jumped with them last week." Teresa's eyes were gleaming and the Chief was smiling. That didn't last long:

"You what?!?!" Cindy roared. "You made a parachute jump? With that broken back of yours?"

"Obviously I came to no ill effects." I said, surprised by the level of Cindy's anger. I could both see and feel that she was no-shit pissed off.

"God DAMMIT, Don!" Cindy yelled, heedless of the Chief's presence in the room. "You could... you could end up in a wheelchair, like Tanya... or worse, for God's sake! What in the fuck were you THINKING?"

"Mostly to keep my feet and knees together, so I wouldn't break my back or anything else." I said, and with more joviality than Cindy wanted to hear. She was gaping at me, her face literally getting redder as I watched.

"Chief?!..." Cindy gasped, turning towards him.

"I'd have jumped with the 55th Paratroopers if I'd had the chance, toooooo." said the Chief. "I can't blame Don for doing that."

Cindy looked up at Teresa, who held up the pendant on her necklace. "Daughter of a Paratrooper, like Carole. I get it, how he felt about doing it. And I don't blame him a bit."

Cindy's anger was boiling over, and with it the truth came out. "Jesus Christ, Don!" she yelled at the top of her lungs "It's bad enough that people are trying to kill you, and you frickin' walk into traps like that gas explosion, and get shot in ambushes, not to mention attacking the Slender Man, of all things! But jumping out of a fucking airplane? Have you EVER fucking considered how we're going to feel if you're badly hurt, or worse yet, killed? Does the fact that your family and your Police Force need you, intact, not mean a damn thing to you?"

I just sat there and said nothing as I stared at her in open shock, truly having not anticipated this reaction from Cindy. She looked around, then said "Geez, why am I trying? Nothing gets through your thick head!" She turned and left my office, leaving the door open, and a second later we heard the *SLAM!* of her own office door being rather violently shut.

"That is not professional." said the Chief, about to get up and go say something. He found Teresa in front of him, shaking her head very vigorously.

"Sir, let her cool off first." Teresa said. "You go in there now, she might hand you her badge and walk out forever."

"She's right, sir." I said, still in shock and awe at the display of Green Crowbar shock and awe. "I had no idea she'd get that worked up, and I think some bottled up things just came out." The Chief nodded and sat back down.

Just then Detective Jerome Davis came to the door, a bag of coffee in his hand. "Is everything okay?" he asked. "Sounds like y'all need some decaf, so I brought you some..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As 8:00am drew near, Captain Thompson knocked on my door, having knocked on Cindy's door and gotten no response. "Chief, Commander," he said, "KXTC just called my office. They said they'll issue a statement apologizing for you being called 'abusive' this morning. They said Bettina will apologize to you privately if you take her phone call, but she won't apologize on air."

"Then she might as well not bother with the phone call." I replied. "Come on in and watch the KSTD broadcast with us." Captain Thompson came in, saying hello to everyone as I turned the television on and the channel to KSTD.

"This is KSTD Five-Alive News in the Morning!" said the beautiful Cynthia Freeman, though her smile looked too forced, and therefore insincere. "Lawyers for our competitor KXTC's Amber Harris reached a plea agreement with District Attorney Gil Krasney over the weekend..." She reiterated the story, then added some unique things:

"We have with us Dr. Adam S. Keller of the City University Rodham Foundation for Political and Social Change." said Cynthia "Dr. Keller, will this help D.A. Krasney in the November elections?"

"Cynthia," said Keller, "while this does show that Mr. Krasney has respect for women's rights and the plight of abused women in domestic violence cases, it's probably not going to help him against two candidates with stronger credentials in those areas, Miriam Walters and Jenna Stiles."

"What about Mr. Krasney's statement that he made the plea deal because Commander Donald Troy was personally at the scene?" asked Cynthia, her smile growing, if that were possible.

"Commander Troy has no respect for the rights of women nor blacks, and he is a tool of those that seek to keep the oppressed minorities ground down." said Keller, relishing every word of his attack. "His very presence at that domestic disturbance call is very troubling in light of his ongoing war against the First Amendment rights of the Press. He obviously went there to rile up Mrs. Harris, and goad her into a criminal act. District Attorney Krasney saw through that, and stood up for the rights of the Press and of women like Amber Harris, and made a very correct plea deal. This is a very big middle finger into Donald Troy's face, and one that he deserves and has had coming to him for a long, long time."

"Yes, Commander Troy's abusive tactics are out of control." Cynthia replied happily. "Dr. Keller, what are your observations on the Legislative Special Session and the upcoming November Elections?"

"The Republicans have been flat-out denied their plan to deny the Citizens a voice in the process via voting, be it in a caucus or primary." said Keller. "The Democrats have done a very good job crafting this legislation and getting it through the Legislature, and they should be rewarded with overwhelming victories in November."

"Thank you, Dr. Keller." said Cynthia. "And this just breaking! Our SNN affiliate KCTY has learned that the City District Attorney WILL refer the rape charges filed against Republican U.S. Senator Samuel Russell to a Grand Jury! The City D.A. said that the Republican Senator going to Washington instead of voluntarily remaining in the State shows a willful disregard for the law."

"And also just breaking from Washington, D.C." said Cynthia. "Navy Rear Admiral Jonathan Keating was found dead at his home near Langley, Virginia, last night. Authorities say it appears to be a suicide. Admiral Keating was an important advisor to the Secretary of the Navy and the National Security Advisor..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Okay, now I'm going nuclear." I said. I sent a text.

"On who?" asked Teresa. "Adam Keller?"

I shook my head. "On Cynthia Freeman."

"Oh no... what did you doooooo?" asked the Chief.

I just shook my head. "I want 'plausible deniability' on this one. You'll hear about it, in time."

A half hour later, all the news outlets in the State as well as other outlets began getting photograph facsimiles, clearly showing Cynthia Freeman giving KSTD publisher Gregg Berger a blowjob, then having sexual intercourse with him. The caption on the pic said "We know what Cynthia did to get HER job... what did YOU do to get yours, Bettina?"

The Media would investigate to the limits of their powers, they would hire private investigators, they would call the SBI and FBI to investigate. The photos were sent from the equivalent of a burner phone from in the City, and it could never and would never be traced back to Your Iron Crowbar...

And the damage to Cynthia Freeman would be considerable. She would never be looked at again in a respectful way by anyone who saw those photos of her having sex...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Rather than an Angels Meeting per se, I met with Tanya, Lieutenant Mary Mahoney Milton, and the Vice Squad in Classroom 'C'.

"First, let me ask," I said to open the meeting, "who would you consider to be the usual suspects for bringing drugs into the County?"

"T-Square, in his clubs and surrounding areas." said Mary. "Weinstein, in areas north of T-Square's turf. We think Paul Escandes from the Ridley case, or one of his Romanian Gang buddies, might've been supplying the northside." (Author's note: See 'Another Day In The Life' for the Escandes story.) "Since Escandes disappeared last Spring, the County's wealthiest have had to go to Weinstein for their supply, or else go to the City or somewhere if they don't want to deal with T-Square."

"So you've found nothing active now?" I asked.

"We pushed hard, sir," said Mary, "but there is just nothing out there. We simply cannot find any drug pipelines. Most of the clubs... nothing. And the clubs's businesses are hurting because of it, even though they don't actually sell drugs to their customers. Attendance has started dropping."

"And to that end," said Christopher Purvis, "we tried to do some buys, posing as University students, at the terminal end." That meant the final buyers, the consumers of the drugs, as opposed to distributors selling to smaller distributors. "The street sellers only had limited amounts. They said someone was choking off the supply. Then we sent some black Officers from other parts of the State into T-Square's clubs. They could buy one hit of coke each, and one bong of weed. No more. Just nothing available for sale. 2nd Precinct people are getting word that T-Square's suppliers aren't bringing in what they used to, so he's getting choked off, too."

"That is damn strange." I said. "Prices going up?"

"No sir." said Tanya. "These guys are selling whatever they have left. If they jack the prices too much, the customers don't buy. This isn't the normal supply-and-demand situation."

"We did pick up one small thing, Commander." said Grubby Paul. "One of the Fraternities, the Kappas, was getting a supply from outside the County. According to our C.I.s, they were driving to the City to pick up paper grocery sacks full of packets of various drugs. Still nowhere near the large shipments we've been looking for. And certainly not enough to supply all of the potential demand."