All Comments on 'Together—You and Me - The Epilogue'

by rwsteward

Sort by:
  • 71 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Damn, you are good!

Just when I get my stoic and emotionless John Wayne face back together and I'm feelin' all macho, I read another of your stories and it all falls apart. Your stories remind me of how much I have seen and how hardened my defensive emotions have become. (Not the combat of a war theater, but too many other rude experiences, bodies, and suffering humanity)

Your works remind me to look at my beautiful wife and realize how grateful I am. There is a power of good in them as well as magnificent craftsmanship. Not many have such talent that they can craft a story that also helps heal the reader.

Thank you and bless you!

dbdukedbdukeabout 11 years ago
With Emotions Untold

The person before me said ti all! Just double it.

whimsy1whimsy1about 11 years ago
Wow! Just wow!

You've hit another one out of the park! I'm emotionally wrung out, and my husband is threatening to buy stock in a tissue company. I went through a whole blasted box, and I still get weepy remembering scenes. By the end of the story, Dean and Amy felt like cherished friends. You breathed life into the characters, and I, for one, can point to a few acquaintances and say, "He reminds me of Max." Or, when I'm grumpy, "What a bitch! Just like that Dixie!"

Your imagery is amazing--I've rarely read better. Emotions are true to life, and you make stories believable to the people who have actually "been there, done that". I'm talking about PTSD, combat, cancer patients, nurses, and the families huddled in waiting rooms, praying for good news. Sorry, got carried away.

Rambling, long-winded post, and I'll cut to the chase...This is one of the finest short stories I've ever read. I don't think you even grasp your impact on readers. You are simply amazing.

Now, get cracking on another story!

northlandernorthlanderabout 11 years ago
Fantastic

One hell of a story, you succeeded in conveying the fear, (a) of PTSD and (b) of cancer, as a vet who has been through the one,you make me thankful that I and my partner of 55 years have not had to go through the other. Great story, one of the best on Lit for a long time.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
and the tears came

when i read this story i wonderd where you were headed. When Dean found the lump i knew. I thought of my mom and my tears began to flow. she faced life after her operation with no mate, just us kids. she sucked it up and went about raising us. Afterward she felt so self conscius she never dated. My wife of 44 years has asked over the years what would we do if she had breast cancer. She knew what my answer would be before it left my lips. "they are part of you, But they are NOT you. As any present or former Marine will tell you. "always faithful" is not just an expression it is a COMMITMENT. We have grown old together our love has gotten stronger over the decades. We have faced many crisis in our lives, but as you so wonderfully put it "Together-You and Me"

THANK YOU

RhomanovRhomanovabout 11 years ago
Damn......

Many thanks for allowing us the honor of reading this.

Thx

teedeedubteedeedubabout 11 years ago
Great story

I don't know how I missed the first chapter but I am glad I found it. Life is full of this kind of stuff and you have done a masterful job of telling it. Thank You.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Amazing story

I love this story so much. It's one of the best i've read and the ending was such a relief!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
I cried

through every line.

Last year I cared for my oldest sister as she recovered from her double breast surgery. Brave ladies.

SS1969

dairetodairetoalmost 11 years ago
I sobbed

What a gorgeous story.

Thankyou

fefe428fefe428over 10 years ago
Very Beautiful

After reading both stories over yesterday and today, I can certainly understand why there were so many requests for the epilogue. I'm glad I got to read both together, and didn't have to wait. I'm also glad that you had the volunteer come in and talk to Amy about the options for reconstruction. It's so important now a days for women to realize that these options do exist, and it's not like it used to be 20 or 30 years ago. That's not to say that it's not a traumatic ordeal, because it is, but I think it helps to make the choice just a little bit easier.

You're writing is beautiful, and i loved how you turned this chapter into Dean having to support Amy the way she supported him years ago. It's a very good depiction of the realities of marriages and long term relationships that are give and take.

auhunter04auhunter04over 10 years ago
did my crying on first one

My wife died july 1 2009 of cancer. She had stomach pain and it would not go away. I was out of town. My daughter said she had had enough of this and took Pam to hospital. When everything was said and done, they found my wife's cancer and she died from related complications all in the same day.

They kept her alive until I could get home and say good by. Her last words were I love you.

Sometimes it still hurts

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
You touched my heart

I suffered a cancer scare at 19. My mom's mother died at 37 having fought battle after battle, surgery after surgery, against ovarian & uterine cancer until the cancer won the last round, leaving her daughter's 16 & 13 with out their mother and with a lifetime fear they would die young. When I was suddenly in a situation where pain & ultrasound results pointed in a scary direction (showing my ovaries being orange and grapefruit size instead of the "normal" walnut). I saw the fear in my mom's eyes as they had me in surgery within 2 weeks. Thankfully it was NOT cancer! Though the "relief" of it's "Only" endometriosis, was short lived after more surgeries and treatments, I had to have a hysterectomy and both ovaries removed 3 weeks before turning 21, and a lifetime of effects.

You masterfully show the fears, trauma, and anger for an individual dealing with a health crisis and for those who truly love them!

calgarycamperscalgarycampersabout 10 years ago
Five for Five

My wife successfully fought colon cancer and is still doing fine. I saw the fear and the strength she had. I was her Dean. We fought it together. Every appointment, every treatment, every surgery.

You caught the terror perfectly for both Amy and Dean. I hope none of the readers have to go through this hell but if they do, I hope they all have a Dean with them

The reference to the American Cancer Society was great. I really appreciated the help our friends and family gave us, from cleaning the house, shopping or just sitting with my wife during chemo treatments.

Keep up the good work. This was an awesome story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Excellent story

I lived this story. My wife learned of her Brest cancer at age 33. She had her Breast removed and lived for an additional 4 years. Except for the end those were the best years of my life. We lived for each day and didn't spend time writing on the next vacation or holiday. Your story touched on a very important topic. I loved my wife's breasts! I spent countless hours worshiping those wonderful orbs. Feeling, caressing, kissing, sucking, licking, grabbing, fucking, and she was deathly afraid that I would no longer desire her. It was some time after the surgery when we first had sex. I had to get her a little looped. The first thing I did after I had stripped her was to kiss and caress the area where her breast had been removed and then on we went yo our usual great sex! The cancer returned and I eventually lost her to that insidious disease. I am still the luckiest man on earth for the 20 years we had together. She passed away in 1987 and a day doesn't pass that isn't filled with thoughts of her. We have 4 wonderful children and I still miss you Diane...

The_Crazy_OneThe_Crazy_Oneabout 10 years ago

Not many things make me tear up. But I had to stop a few times to wipe my tears away so I could keep reading. Damn good work sir. Damn good.

tiredandoldtiredandoldalmost 10 years ago
Once again

Damn, just Damn.

zampazampaalmost 10 years ago
Real tears

Real tears. Don't shed them often.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
OMG

Tears. Speechless. Rememberance. Thank You...

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Kind of disappointed

... that I could only give it a 5. Both pieces were wonderful love stories. I've read them before and I'll surely read them again. Thank you!

VisualPerv

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Soooo Romantic

It is really a story that tells what true love is.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
nothing dramatic post in garbage for wackos

dream bout

2 star

redbaron172redbaron172over 9 years ago
Outstanding

Love story.... true love.... makes your realize how lucky some people are to have Agape love.... love no matter what happens, good/bad. Support from spouses can be the healing medicines that cause miracles to happen. Wonderful story and also a true story that can be probably told by millions of people with little variation. Keep up the good, no great work...!!!

txcrackertxcrackerover 9 years ago
DAMN What a Story

This is one of the most heart jurking stories I have ever read on this site . Thank to Robert for making enough of an impression on you to write the ending of Chapter for this wonderful story .

Side note my wife is three days post-mastectomy surgery so it hit very close to my heart . 9/25/14

Thank you again

TX CRACKER

rightbankrightbankover 9 years ago
yes it was touching and emotional

yes it was well told.

but I don't understand why you had to kill off all the supportive people from part 1. The counselor, Molly, et al. Why couldn't they have been there for her as well?

and what is your thing with deadly fires?

phil2213phil2213over 9 years ago
Emotional!!

I agree with some previous comments pertaining to killing off characters. This story was extremely well written but could be improved. I rated 5* but it still seems unfinished.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
feels

Such an emotional story. I loved it though

xtchrxtchrover 9 years ago
Wow!

This was such a strong story. This hit home on both topics. I had 2 good friends that made it home from Nam but where never the same. One ended it 3 years later and the other just survives-doesn't live anymore. This brought the first tears to my eyes as I remembered. Second my wife went through 2 cancer scares with 2 surgeries. She is now a survivor but I remember the terrible, tough times we went through. Yes, we went through them together and it was very hard on both of us. This brought on the second set of tears as I remembered what we both went through. This was a very emotional story for me and took me a long time to finish. Thank You for such a great, wonderful and emotional story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago

In more than 5 years of reading literotica, I have never left a comment no matter how good or touching a story is. This story compels me to leave a comment. Kudos to you. The story was well written and the characters emotions and triumphs really resonate with me . Well done and thank you for writing this.

TootsallTootsallalmost 9 years ago
Hell of a story

My first wife commited suicide by carbon monoxide in the garage...I found her at 5:30 am., too late. We had two kids, 3 yrs and 2 weeks. Tore me apart. With the help of family and friends we got over it and I have now been married 31 years to a lovely lady. Life goes on. Your story struck several chords...thank you. And, Thank You to the vet who convinced you to write the epilogue.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Bloody Good

My late wife did not have a Mastectomy (her cancer was an aggressive internal bastard).

But I know something of what you write; and you've done it very, very well.

And I now know something of PTSD.

Thank you.

HP

trigudistrigudisover 8 years ago
Wonderful!

Terrific story, well paced and believable. It appears that you did some research based on your narrative of Amy's medical issues.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Very Good Story

Thank You! Top story! I had tears in my eyes and a knot in my stomach while reading this story Oh please write more like this one? Love you all! Bye. Greg. 10 STARS

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
More

I would like to see an extension to this story. So nice and beautiful. The way a love

story should be. Perhaps, first time they take a shower together, or, when he buys

a black gown with a slit up the side and gets caught as a spy.

Also, daughter, Willow graduation, birth of first grand child. Maybe a little violence

when he has to save wife again from an embarrassing situation.

Thank you again for a beautiful story--Semper Fi!

sithonsithonover 8 years ago
Great story

It needs finishing. You need to show how the changes in her body affect their love life. Also you could show how their fantasies lead to interesting sex games. You could explore how the new nerve paths in her chest could be stimulated during sex.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
I DARE ANYONE TO SAY THAT THIS STORY IS NOT GOOD

Here is a great story in every way shape or form. I loved the story Thank You 10 stars Love you all! Bye.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
GREAT STORY DOSEN'T TOUCH THIS ONE

written by someone who seems to have "been there, done that, and got the tee shirt" . A real life story, but you could give us a few more chapters. This surely isn't the finish, I hope !!!

oldguy32oldguy32almost 8 years ago
Tears

Oh my. Glad she survived. Miss mine terribly. Great Story, wonderful writing, and such love.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Damned good

A perfect end to their tale.

Your detailing of PTSD and the stress of mastectomy makes me think you've been there.

Been there, done that. Sadly, mine (gut cancer) didn't make it.

The story 'flowed'; it made sense, it provoked emotion.

It was bloody GREAT!

Thank you

HP

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
How can you improve on perfection?

If you want to tell us more about Amy and Dean, I'll gladly read it, but you don't need to do so. Your stories cannot be improved. Dean singing to Amy as she lies in her hospital bed recovering is a perfect ending. I wept again. Thank you!!

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
As good as it is it could have been even better

as a new, unrelated, standalone story of it's own.

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticover 7 years ago
A dramatic continuation for a great romance!

In this continuation is played a very dramatic subject, the great killer that is cancer.

My mother and my uncles (her brothers), died with cancer, so I know what the feelings are described here.

I am glad that the author finished the story with a happy ending, although on the way left great friends of Dean and Amy.

Today, much has been improved on the treatment of breast cancer, obtaining a high rate of recovery, if the disease is detected in time, a friend's wife has recovered, a wife's cousin, too, even a Of my sister-in-law has recovered from a cancerous condition of the blood. Support from your partners and family is vital to avoid falling into destructive depression.

As Dean says in the story:

Semper Fi!

5 * for you.

I apologize for my English (yet), is not my native language.

Dont_miss_meDont_miss_meabout 7 years ago
DAMN GOOD!!!

Speaking as the son of a Vietnam veteran, you got the emotions right. I wish I could give you more than 5 stars. It's an awesome story thread.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
what a story................

I am a uk vet who also has cancer, but through the use of inserted iodine isotopes should make a few recovery. But back to this heart rending story. I was lucky. I did not suffer PTSD. but I know lots that have. Like the male character, they had a hard time adapting to civilian life, but most found love to help them cope.

My first wife left me, but later I met the one. We have been married for over 34 years. So the story had an extra dimension for me. All I can say is thank you for a wonderful memories, good and bad.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Great follow up

Great follow up on how Dean helps Amy the way she helped him. More story please.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Excellent Epilogue 5*

You have completed this story with an excellent ending. Please put your writing brain into gear and complete a few more vet stories. You tell them well, good character development, story flows well, with believable events. Well Done! 'Nam Vet

flarebel2327flarebel2327over 6 years ago
Dean & Amy

really good follow up . & then he saved her . took several times to find mine & when she passed after 27 + yrs felt like part of me passed with her. there at still times when I turn to say something to her even though she's not there in nothing but spirit ,if I could would give 10 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
This story hit home

When I returned from Vietnam I was not the same person as the 20 year old soldier that went over there. One constant was the love of my life. We were married ten days after I returned. She was my Amy. Fourteen years later she was diagnosed with breast cancer. After her surgery she was even more beautiful to me than before. God I loved my wife. Unlike Amy she died after long painful 15 months. When she died a part on died with her. That was 34 years ago. To this very day I weep for her.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Good story. I wish that while Dean was dealing with his PTSD and getting counseling, Amy had been in a PTSD spouses group or getting her own counseling. I know the spouses group was really helpful for me when J was diagnosed after he returned from Iraq. The vets aren't the only ones who shouldn't try and go it alone.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

I went thru the same thing with my wife. The difference -- two doctors at the same time. The 2nd doctor drew lines on where the 1st should cut and remove the cancerous tissue, then he immediately inserted the silicone inserts. Actually, the damaged Breast looks better than undamaged one, exceept for the two scars, which don't look that bad. Afterwards, intimate life continued as b4. That was 6 years ago.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
service life, , ,

thankyou

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Beautiful

Rarely do I cry reading but I found tears running with such a touching story. Thank you

flarebel2327flarebel2327over 4 years ago
cancer

had a brother & mother that had it. my mother never had it again after they removed her breast . brother had colon cancer & it got him. brings old memories that were buried .

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

Outstanding story

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefabout 4 years ago
Crap, crap, crap!!!!!!!!

It's so darn hard to read a awesome story when your eyes are leaking all the time. I thought your first story with Dean and Amy was great and a tear jerker, this one had me crying all the way through it. Even reading all the posted comments brought tears to my eyes. Cancer isn't the death sentence it was years ago, but it is life changing for those that go through it or have a loved one that does. I set where Dean set and my memories of it are kind of sketchy because it is traumatic for everyone involved. My wife had her left breast removed due to cancer and lived to beat the odds. We shared many good years since then, but sadly after 51 years of marriage, sickness and time took their toll and I lost her.

I worked in a hospital for many years and the story reminded me that there are a lot of phenomenal and truly caring nurses in the world. God bless each and every one of them.

Thanks for writing such a wonderful and loving story, sorry I could only give it five stars.

ukdukeukdukeabout 4 years ago
Damm you!

Dammed woodsmoke getting in my eyes.

5* And we'll earned!

southernreb27southernreb27about 4 years ago
9 YEARS TODAY

today is the ninth year since my passed . still seems like last yr. this story leaves my eyes leaking. lost my brother who 10 yrs younger to colon cancer. idiots at the hospital radiated the healthy part of his colon. lasted 3 or 4 weeks afterwards.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyalmost 4 years ago

Both of these stories are wonderful!

5 for both stories

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 4 years ago
love and faithfulness

Great story, I never, ever thought about leaving my wife, breast surgery, radiation, knee replacement, rehab, broken femur, more rehab. Never once did I think about leaving her. She passed a year ago lying next to me. She was a loving woman.

Keep writing, the tears the story brings help the loss-keep it up.

Ravey19Ravey19over 3 years ago
Well I Just About Managed. ..

...to hold it together and can say I was 90% successful. Another chapter and very moving again. Wonderfully told and I wasn't sure which way the ending would go. I loved it.

An opportunity left to write another but either way it worked perfectly. 5 plus again.

No1_OfConsequenceNo1_OfConsequenceabout 3 years ago

It's the ones you can't save that hurt the worst.

I spent August of 2004 to March of 2005 in Iraq's Anbar province. Turns out that if you do enough crazy, stupid things while people try to kill you, they'll promote you. I can never get back what I left there.

My first wife sent her husband off to war, and never really got him back. She decided to move on.

SInce then, I've changed careers somewhat. Hundreds of missions, thousands of flight hours, and a few new scars to show for it. I've saved many lives, I've ended some too. The ones I haven't been able to save haunt me.

I do not have PTSD, but I was diagnosed with PTS (without the D) in 2011. I've lost friends, sadly some at their own hand because the demons only have to win one round, and will lose more. It's the way of life that I've chosen. Or maybe that life chose me. Who can really say, after all?

Thank you for this series, and I can relate to most of it.

Please lift a glass to the men of 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, battles in Anbar Province, Iraq and Helmand Province, Afghanistan.

3rd Battalion, 1st Marines, Anbar Province, Iraq.

22nd SAS Regiment, various locations.

Polish GROM, various locations.

SEAL Team 3, SEAL Team 5, and SEAL Team 2, various locations.

1st Marine Recon Battalion, Anbar Province.

3rd Light Armored Recon Battalion, Anbar Province, Iraq.

1st Battalion, 9th Marines, Helmand Province, Afghanistan.

10th Mountain Division, Kunar Province, Afghanistan.

2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Anbar Province, Iraq.

Princess of Wales' Own Regiment, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan.

It has been an honor to serve with these fine men over the course of the last 19 years.

Semper FI.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I have to say that in all honesty this was a truly well written dual series . The fact that you used the trauma that a combat veteran goes through as well as the fact that no matter what the War it'll always be part of you was very truly honest . I want to thank you for writing such a great tribute to both the men and they're ladies whose inner strength makes them carry on no matter the fight . I am a Cold War warrior and thankfully we didn't have to get dirty but I did lose brothers to Afghanistan . May they ALL Rest in Peace again thank you .

GrandEagle53GrandEagle53over 2 years ago

My mother lost her left breast to cancer. Had it beat but sadly succumbed to aggressive leukemia 6 months later. This series is sad and yet heart warming. Thank yo so much. 5+ stars for each

Rancher46Rancher46about 2 years ago

Love and understanding, that is what Dean and Amy had. She loved Dean so much she got him through his darkest times, even saved him when he tried to take his own life. Then in the end it was Dean who made her go to the doctor when he realized there was something wrong and in the end his love and support got her through the cancer and mastectomy successfully. This was a beautifully written love story that really hits home for those vets who suffered from PTSD and those who have had cancer and survived. The end was beautiful as their undying love got them through the tragedies that they faced together. Well Done 5++++stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

amazing story and a good message too. GET REGULARLY SCREENED! i lost my wife to breast cancer and not a day goes by that i don’t regret telling her to get checked out.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

ok...

bigbob2406bigbob24067 months ago

Great story.Thank you very much!!

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy6 months ago

Wonderful story! Fitting follow up to the original part.

5

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

We both, the two of us together as one, are still soooo very misty with our hopeful hearts and souls hanging onto every word - until?????

Makes us want to read the ending first while exercising our box of tissues.

Thank you for a story that shares so much love and gives hope.

Wandering_MinstrelWandering_Minstrelabout 2 months ago

"I am a Cold War warrior and thankfully we didn't have to get dirty but I did lose brothers to Afghanistan"

.

The uncle of a friend of mine lost a very good friend during the cold war under circumstances that are apparently classified. He was a pilot and one day he didn't come home.

I don't know if this qualifies as "getting dirty", but it sure does leave wounds in those left behind.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous