All Comments on 'Grendel Wolde'

by HartMann

Sort by:
  • 2 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Interesting

I like how this is allocated halfway between "Pathfinder" and more traditional medieval films like "The Name of the Rose". And it feels real to a certain extent. You say 'from a church chronicle'. Is this based on real events?

In any case fun to read.

HartMannHartMannover 5 years agoAuthor
Real event.

This is indeed from a church chronicle of the village of Grindelwald in Switzerland in the mountains one hour south of the capital, Berne.

In the winter of 1513, men of the neigbouring Canton of Uri (called Urner until today), i.e. from the next valley raided the village of Grindelwald while the Grindelwalders were at mass. A famine in the next spring was the consequence.

I took liberties inventing characters, conversations etc. But up to this day, the clans of Baumann, Kaufmann, Abegg, Anderegg (I called them Boume, Koufme, Abegg and 'nderegg) rule the community life and the disputes of the alpships, the cooperatives that rule grazing rights of the slopes around the village are still the most powerful force in the village.

A wonderful place. One of the most beautiful in the world for me.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous