All Comments on 'Let It Be Me'

by trigudis

Sort by:
  • 11 Comments
ag2507ag25076 months ago

Sorry, second person stories give me the creeps.

trigudistrigudis6 months agoAuthor

I know that some readers have a problem with a second person narratives. But I wanted to try it, because I liked Bright Lights Big City (Jay McInerney) and hoped to capture that sort of tone to this story.

OvercriticalOvercritical6 months ago

The story is sort of corny, but the people are likeable and although I was rooting for them, as soon as I saw that it was only a 3 page story I knew that it would be one of those "meeting after a lifetime of something and someone else" tales. As to the comment about the viewpoint of the narrator, I started to wonder who this person was and how he/she managed to have the vantage point to see all these activities. I thought it might be Neil's eventual wife, but it was just some voice in the sky. Still enjoyed it although somehow it was kind of sad at the end. 4*

oldsage_1oldsage_16 months ago

Loved it! Second person? Who cares it is a good story well told. And yes this sort of stuff happens.

Cheers

SAGE

hindsight2020hindsight20206 months ago

1st person or even 3rd would have made this a solid tale.

2nd person sucked.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Meh. Not up to your usual standards.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Second person is fine for an experiment. A steady diet in second person would make for unsatisfying reading. I falls between the stools of immediacy and omniscience and, in my opinion at least, is less compelling as storytellers device than either first or third party. It seems a bit Hallmarky but nonetheless, it was a tale well told, and deserves 5*s.

trigudistrigudis6 months agoAuthor

This was indeed an "experiment" into the risky business of second person narratives. I'm not surprised by some of the negative reactions here. In fact, I expected them. I tried it because to me, it seemed to fit my mindset at the time. I could feel myself writing it that way even before putting down the first sentence.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Second person kills every story - a pity!

BreathyWhisperBreathyWhisper5 months ago

This was my first read on here, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't think your choice of second person narration was off putting, I thought it seemed natural. Bonus points for the use of oldies, I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usertrigudis@trigudis
Free-lance writer who enjoys reading mostly non-fiction but also Nicholas Sparks romance novels and "serious" lit (John Updike, Irwin Shaw, Philip Roth, Herman Wouk). I enjoy writing these stories because it entertains me as well as the readership. Lit is unique in that wri...