Sam Spade 14: Case of the Don Who Wasn't Pt. 01

Story Info
Sam is forced into a direct fight with Don Bruce.
15.6k words
4.71
4.8k
4
0

Part 15 of the 28 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 07/06/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is copyrighted 2016 by Kaereni, may not be excerpted, reprinted, reproduced, or reposted in any form without the express written consent of the author. Visitors to this web site may read or temporarily download pages but are not permitted to modify or re-distribute them.

The story may contain sexual activities and situations that are to be read only by readers above the legal age of consent. All characters are above the age of 18. The story is not to be read in locations where such stories are illegal. If you are not of legal age, or live in the wrong place, please do not read.

Author's note: This story in the Sam Spade saga is different than the others. First of all, it spans 4 parts and it includes more back-story of the different people in Samantha's life. This is for the readers who are new to the characters and do not know their histories in detail. If you wish to read more about Suzi, her story is contained in the novel "Twins in Mind and Body."

Sam Spade: Case of the Don who Wasn't part 1 of 4

I was sitting in my office wondering what happened to Angela and I. Both of us remembered her becoming a succubus fully but without her memories. Only with Alvin's help was she able to remember her programming so to speak. But that Angela had lost five years of being my shadow and soulmate. She was as cold and uncaring as she had been the day she walked into my office looking for her brother. Then, Lucifer had shown up and tried to get me to work for him. If I did, then I would have my angel back as she had been. If not, then I would lose her and know that for all eternity she would be tormented by his minions. I was about to break when I heard a voice, Lilith's voice whisper into my mind that it wasn't real. Taking heart, I called his bluff and got Angela back, loving as before and with human emotions.

The thing is, only she and I remembered the drama that played out. Everyone else forgot it. More than the girls referring to me as goddess, my mind was troubled by that fact. I had been sucked into a much larger game than just the mob and their troubles. I was still musing on that when the woman walked in. "What a surprise," I said standing and giving her a light hug. I was surprised all right. That she had gotten by my secretary and Angela both without either of them announcing her must have been a feat. "Have a seat Mrs. Stevenson. What can I do for you today?"

Even though Mary and I went back along ways, she had married into the family and gained airs of superiority. "Miss Spade," she said and then stopped. I always wondered why people would come to me for help and then beat around the bush before coming to the point. "Antonio, you remember him don't you?"

He used to be an enforcer for Big Jimmy and quickly proved he was not one to mess with. For the last few years he had controlled all of the night clubs in town. Either through extortion or outright ownership. "Yes I remember him." I replied.

"Well.... He has been acting odd lately. Out every night and getting an odd smile and saying he is tending to business when I ask about it." Sue said finally.

It sounded like Antonio was getting some on the side and his wife was unhappy about it. "Why come to me? You can go to the don and he will solve it quickly."

"I don't want to see Antonio get into trouble if I can help it. He worked hard to get where he is."

"Okay, I see what I can do," I finally said. Frankly I would have rather hand fed a shark while it was in the middle of a feeding frenzy. However, I understood her point. If he was cheating on her, the Don would order a pair of special shoes for him and dump him into the river. "Five bills a day plus expenses."

After she agreed I ushered her out and saw why both Angela and my secretary had let her by; The pair had already left. Returning to my office I grabbed my fedora, trench coat and dads old forty five. I headed out to Fat Johnny's place to see if I could pick up any information.

At the door I found a pair of his thugs waiting and of course blocking my way. "We're closed," one said.

"Boys, didn't you learn last time?" I asked.

"You ain't got that killer blond with you this time Spade. Fat Jonny is busy," The one on the left said with a smirk.

"Okay boys... You win this time," I replied. Turning away. I grabbed daddy's old forty five and continued my turn and bringing it up to strike the one on the right on the head. Pointing it at the other man's eye I said coldly, "Are you sure he is too busy to see me now?"

"No Miss Spade," the man said gulping. "Here let me get the door for you," he added a moment later.

Entering I walked into the restaurant proper and saw why the place was closed. Fat Johnny was sitting at his table eating dinner with the Don himself. I stopped and waited. Without Angela's backup I wasn't sure I needed to talk to Fat Johnny that bad. I was about to turn and leave when the Don saw me and gestured for me to join them.

"Samantha, how good to see you again," The don said standing and greeting me. Instead of a handshake, he pulled me into a hug and kissed my cheeks and finally on the lips. "How have you been?"

"I have been well." I accidently saved his life and he had treated me like his daughter ever since. "How have you been Don?"

"Same old thing Samantha," He said with a smile. Gesturing me to sit in the booth with them he sat down. "What can the families do for you?" He asked after pouring me a glass of red wine.

"Nothing, I just came to get a plate," I said with a smile as I sipped the rich red wine.

The Don looked at Fat Johnny and then me before replying. "Samantha, we all know you can ask me for the truth instead of getting rumors from Johnny. So rather than asking for the word on the street why don't you just ask me directly this one time."

"Off the record?" I asked.

"If you wish Samantha."

"What's going on with Antonio?" I asked. Seeing confusion I sighed and added, "He has been out all night lately and saying it was work keeping him from home. "

"I'll take care of that son of a bitch," the don said standing.

"Don Bruce, you gave me your word," I said standing in front of him. Say what you will about the mob, they took vows, including marriage vows seriously. "Are you going to break it now?" I added after a moment.

"That's not fair Samantha," he replied suddenly looking like the old man he was. He looked at Fat Johnny and then me, "No Samantha, I won't break my word. But I want to know what you found out afterwards."

I guided him back to his side of the booth and looked at Fat Johnny as I sat down. That fat bastard knew something. "Out with it Johnny."

"What's in it for me? It seems every time you come to visit I have to spend a couple hundred repairing the front door." Fat Johnny replied.

"Tell her all you know," Don Bruce said coldly.

"I'll pay damages Johnny; you know I'm good for it." I added quickly. I turned to the don and added, "Don Bruce, Johnny and I play this game every time I visit. It doesn't mean anything more than two siblings teasing each other." I didn't need my one really good source to dry up on me.

"Oh..." Don Bruce said surprised. "I'm sorry," he said resting a hand on Fat Johnny's arm. "You two play your game."

Fat Johnny gave me a smile as to say thank you before speaking, "You may want to check out the Blue Onion." He paused and with a glance at the don added, "It seems there is someone new in town running it and she has everyone she meets wrapped around her little finger." Again he paused and said in a softer voice, "Be careful with this one Spade, something about her and her slaves are different."

"What do you mean slaves?" I asked. I had thought the Blue Onion was a bar and not one of those sex clubs.

"She is referred to as Mistress Suzi. According to my source, he was talking to one girl and as she left another walked up picked up where the first left off. She asked him if he was as unhappy as he looked and added that their mistress would make him happy. He got out after that." Fat Johnny said with a worried look on his face.

I took another sip of my wine and said, "Okay thanks Johnny." Getting up I smiled and added, "The jokes on you, your men let me in without me breaking anything." Just then I heard the sounds of glass breaking and Angela walked in. "I take that back, just send me the bill as usual."

Standing I walked towards Angela and said, "What took you so long?"

"Samantha you know better to go traipsing off without me. You are not without enemies you know." Angela said falling in beside me. "Where are we headed?" she asked as we walked pass the pair of thugs, one face up the other face down, in the lobby.

"The Blue Onion," I replied as I got into my car. I filled her in and told her what Fat Johnny had said. By the time I was finished we were there. Parking we walked to the trunk and after looking at me, Angela picking up a sawed off shot gun decided I needed more than daddy's forty five. I added a stun gun at the small of my back. Loaded for bear we entered the lion's den.

Like any other bar catering to the college crowd, the Blue Onion had a loud band playing on a low stage at one end. Scattered around were several tables and a row of booths along one wall. The wall opposite the stage was the bar. At first I was going to order a bourbon on the rocks but the bartender's clothing and manner raised alarm bells in my head. She was covered from the neck down with shiny black form fitting clothing. It looked as if she had dipped from the neck down in old thirty weight oil. Then I noticed that not only were the waitresses dressed the same, but a goodly number of the patrons were covered in the thick dirty oil.

Looking around I saw a woman seated alone at the end booth who was watching me. Glancing at Angela I saw shock in her face. It was then that I realized every female including the bartender was now dressed normally. "Watch our backs," I said softly as we walked over to the woman. "You are the one they call Mistress Suzi," I said standing across from her seated form.

Instead of answering me she looked down and said, "That's enough pet." Looking up at me she said, "And if I were?"

"It is never a good idea to take on the mob. They take a dim view of someone moving in on them." I said simply.

"You two think you can just come in and threaten me? The mafia must be desperate to send in two female enforcers." Suzi said with a laugh.

"You mistake me, I don't work for them. If they knew you were here they would just block the doors and burn the place down with you in it." I replied. That I saw got a reaction from her. "I'm here about Antonio Stevenson. Word on the street is that he is here with you."

"You may leave pet," Suzi said with a smile looking down. As he crawled out from under the table s looked at me and said, "Yes he is here. The only way you can get him is to kill him first."

"Works for me," Angela said raising the shot gun and shooting him at point blank range in the chest. The man flew back against the table and blood spattered all over the woman. "We're done here," she said looking at me and then the crowd surging for the door.

Noticing about twenty women headed against the mob towards us I asked her, "Are you sure you want you and your other slaves die tonight?" I paused and then added, "As you see my friend believes to shoot first and ask questions never."

The women working towards us stopped dead and backed up to the opposite wall. "You shoot me you will never make it out alive," Suzi said wiping the blood spatter from her face.

"Perhaps but you will be the first to go," Angela said coldly. "I will make sure of that." She paused and then added, "When we meet again, you will have the chance your slaves are begging for."

Again I saw the woman become worried but her voice was even as she replied, "Just name the time and place."

"No need to set it now. We'll just drop by your house and give you the chance your slaves want." I said coldly. "Meanwhile..." I walked over to the slaves and stood before one, "I see you have cleaned up your act Bonny. Although I am not sure it is a step up."

She bristled and replied, "Don't forget I know where you live Spade. I would watch your back if I were you."

"I don't need to. If the rest of the slaves are of your caliber a pack of cub scouts can take you on without working up a sweat." I saw her and the women near her cloud up and then suddenly calm down. Lowering my voice I said, "Before you go charging after me, make sure you dig plenty of graves." Returning to the woman I said, "I would find a new place to hang out if I were you. One not owned by the families."

"Your dead Spade," Suzi replied coldly. "I would make you a slave and leave your mind intact but no... You are already dead and just waiting to fall down."

"Gusty talk for a woman with a shotgun trained on her." Angela replied for me. "Try anything and I will kill you slowly." One hand let go of the shotgun, dipped into her trench coat, and pulled out a pistol. "Care to end it now?"

True fear showed in the woman's face and she said softly, "No."

"Say that you will never seek out Spade. Let it go or I will end now," Angela said coldly.

Gulping the woman looked at me and said, "I will never seek you out Miss Spade. It's over, we will find a new place." She looked back at Angela and asked, "Good enough?"

"Your slaves will leave us alone." Angela paused and then said, "Make that, your daughters will leave us alone."

"I agree," Suzi said quickly. I could see she was now scared shitless of Angela.

"Let's go," I said. As we were leaving I saw the cops finally show up. I smiled and walked over to the squad car while Angela continued to the car. "Hey Sam. Single gunshot with one down. Dead," I said. "I didn't get a good look at the shooter but he was Filipino."

Sam looked at me, "Yea right... Any other witnesses?"

Sam was one of daddy's old cop friends from way back. I remembered him coming over after work to play with me and eat dinner. The one down side of knowing since I was a little girl, he could read me like a book and knew when I was bullshitting him. Pulling him off to one side I lowered my voice, "Off the record, I caught him out selling out Don Bruce and he went after me. Tilting my head towards the car I added, "Angela saved my ass."

"Who was he selling him out to?" Sam asked.

I looked towards the club door and said, "Her..."

"A dame?" Sam asked in surprise.

"What's wrong with a dame?" Angela said coming up.

"Nothing Angela," Sam replied looking at her. "I just can't see how a female no matter how powerful or good looking can cause one of Don Bruce's men to change sides."

"She's not..." Angela started and then stopped herself. "Ask the coroner to see if he had a cold."

Sam looked at Angela with surprise, "You're trying to pass this off as a cold killed him?"

"Angela," I was just as confused as he was. "What do you know that we don't?"

She looked at me deadpan and then towards Sam, "Mistress Suzi is infecting her slaves with something biological. Her slaves smell sick and are not themselves." Angela turned back to me, "When you went and talked to Bonny, I found an impostor who had her face and someone else's body. In addition, she took your teasing as real."

"That is odd alright," I agreed. "Sam, something is wrong here. If I were you I would make sure everyone who comes in contact with the dead man wear a respirator and gloves. I need to go talk to Don Bruce about this and see how he feels about the building accidently burning to the ground." I paused and then rested a hand on his shoulder, "If the don doesn't kill me for this, let me know what the coroner finds out."

We drove out to the don's house in silence and ran into our first problem outside his gate. Ever since his house had been hit a few years ago, Don Bruce upgraded his alarm system with live thugs. Pulling up to the gate I rolled down my window and said to the no neck man, "Tell Don Bruce that Sam Spade is here."

"Da boss is busy."

"He isn't too busy for his god daughter," Angela said.

"Da boss got a god daughter?" the man asked bending down to look at Angela.

"Yes he has one and you are keeping her from joining him for dinner. What do you think he will do to you when he finds out you turned her away?"

The man gulped. Standing fully he turned towards the gate and said, "Open da gate Benny, it da boss's god daughter and her friend."

"Da boss got a god daughter?" an unseen man asked surprised as the gate opened.

"Yes you dummy." The no neck man replied. He looked down at me and added, "Have a good dinner Miss Samantha."

Driving up to the house I looked at Angela, "God daughter?"

"He sees you as such," Angela replied with a giggle. "It helps that his daughter is in love with you."

"I know but she was screwed over and I had to take her in Angela, you know that." I replied. Poor Frankie had become obsessed with me because of a mask she was suckered into wearing. It did a mind fuck on her and I had never been able to find a way to cure her or any of the others.

"I know and I don't blame you one bit. It was the only way to keep them sane." Angela paused. "That is one of the many reasons I love you."

"I love you too." I replied. I bent over to give her a kiss. Suddenly my mind was on fire with lust. All too soon Angela pushed me away and held me at arm's length until I calmed down.

"After Don Bruce," Angela said once I gathered my wits about myself.

"After Don Bruce," I agreed opening my car door. Walking up to the front door I went in with Angela following. Of course there was another of his men waiting just inside. Luck for me he knew us and knew how Don Bruce felt about my friendship.

"He is in the dining room Miss Spade, Angela."

"Thanks Tony," I replied as I passed by. "Oh the boys out front need pictures of those allowed to see the Don. They let us through because Angela said I was his god daughter."

"God Daughter?" Tony asked. He looked at Angela and laughed, "Gutsy move Angela."

Going into the dining room I said, "Are we too late for dinner?"

"Samantha," Don Bruce's wife, who really ruled the mob said excitedly. She stood and rushed to Angela and I to give us both hugs and kisses. She turned to her husband and asked, "Lenny why didn't you tell me Samantha and Angela were coming for dinner?"

"I... I guess I forgot dear," Don Bruce replied.

"He didn't know," I said softly.

"We need to talk," Angela added. She walked to the dining room door and closed it. Throwing the lock she then went to the kitchen and looked in, "Private family talk. No one in." She stood with her back to the swinging door and nodded towards me.

"Antonino sold you out and I had to kill him." I said softly.

"He what?" "You what?" Two voices said at once.

"I shot him Sue," Angela said. "I could not allow him to live and infect you."

Two heads turned from me to Angela so she told all we knew and what she guessed. "If it were anyone else Angela, I would ask if you lost your mind. But..." Don Bruce replied. He looked at his wife who nodded. "Okay it was justified."

"There's more. I want the bar burned down to clean out the infection." I said looking at his wife. Going over to her I said, "Sue I never asked for anything before. Please work with me on this. What is happening out there could kill all we love and live for."

"What do you need from us?" Don Bruce said walking over to his wife and I.

"The keys to a pharmacy," Angela said.

As we got back into the car I called Sam, "Sam, heard anything yet?" I listened for a minute and said, "Thanks hon I owe you one." Looking at Angela I said, "Penicillin patch should kill it. It's only a simple bacterial infection."

"Simple my ass," Angela replied. "I had the feeling they were telepathic."