Everything Happens for a Reason

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And what was that?" I asked, smiling.

"She said that you moved faster than the speed of light and that you were all over those three jerks like a case of the measles," Libby excitedly replied. Then, before I had a chance to say anything, with a concerned look on her face, she asked, "Where did you learn to do that, Tommy?"

I smiled and, in order to put Libby at ease, gently replied, "When I was in the Navy, I managed to qualify and make through the training it took to join the ranks of the Navy's SEAL teams. In case you don't know what that is, we were a group of very highly motivated, as well as very highly trained men that, because of our training, we were able to do the kind of work that, at the time, no one else in the military was qualified or able to do."

"Sounds pretty dangerous to me," replied Libby, straightforwardly.

I simply smiled and shrugged my shoulders, remaining silent. But before she could say or ask anything else, Laurie, Emma and Deirdre came to my rescue when Emma said, "Mama, the band is all set up in the back yard and Daddy said, and I quote, 'After I shelled out all this damn money for these clowns, make sure everyone has their asses out here so I don't have to suffer by myself when they start playing that damn rock and roll music,' so I guess that means all of us, huh?"

We all began to laugh and, when Libby said, "Don't pay any attention to Jake. His bark is a whole lot worse than his bite, I assure you," we laughed even harder.

As we walked through a pair of huge French doors and began making our way into the spacious back yard, I heard the unmistakable sound of live music emanating from somewhere outside the house. I found myself pleasantly surprised when I saw Damon and his band on the make-shift bandstand in the middle of the back yard. They were in the middle of playing a version of George Strait's, 'Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind' when, with Laurie taking the chair right next me; everyone took their seats. As I watched the band play, I realized that I had been a little too hard on Damon the first night we met. What he didn't do when playing rock and roll, he more than made up for it when he was playing country music. While that kind of music was not particularly my favorite, it was definitely Damon's forte. After taking the time to seriously listen to him and his band, I discovered that Damon's deep rich voice was more naturally suited for this type of music and I soon found myself tapping my foot in time with whatever song they were playing. Just because I didn't really care for country music doesn't mean that I didn't know anything about it. Hell, I grew up in Texas and besides Nashville Tennessee, it is a Mecca of country music fans and my mother had seen to it personally that I knew every dance step associated with it. So when the band played John Conlee's, 'Rose Colored Glasses', a waltz, I looked at Laurie, and nodding to the dance floor, smiled and said, "Do you know how to waltz, baby?"

She practically leapt out of her chair and replied, "Honey, I was waltzing when you were still learning how to punch cows," and then proceeded to lead me to the dance floor leaving a cacophony of female laughter in our wake.

We danced all over the floor looking only at each other, our eyes locked into one another's. In that moment, all that existed to me was Laurie and all that existed to her was me. The peace I found in her eyes made think about many things. I thought about my family, and my friends that I'd lost when I was in the Navy, but most of all; I thought about my beautiful Laurie. I was reminded of everything that had come to pass since I'd come to Montana and that ever since I'd been here; I had, for the first time many years, been able to sleep peacefully and untroubled, awaking rested and refreshed.

Before I knew it, I was brought out of my reverie when Laurie said, "The song is over, Tommy."

"I know it, I was just daydreaming," I replied, with a stupid grin.

"As long as you were daydreaming about me, I guess it's alright then," she said, squeezing my upper arm on the way back to our seats.

We had no sooner taken our seats, when Libby looked at us and said, "You two move beautifully together. I can tell that you truly love each other very much."

"I sure hope so, or all the money I spent teaching that boy social grace went down the drain," said a very familiar voice behind me.

I turned around to see my mother standing between Julia and Mike, grinning at me.

"Ms. Tara!" squealed Laurie, as she jumped up and ran to my Mom and hugged her fiercely.

Holding her at arms length, Mom looked at her, and with tears beginning to form in her eyes, said, "My God! Look at how beautiful you've become. It's so good to see you after all this time, baby-girl," and then hugged her again.

By the time I made it over to where my mother was, she and Laurie had broken the hug. I was glad to see her, and leaning down to hug her, I kissed her on the cheek and said, "Hi Mom! What're you doing here?"

She laughed and replied, I guess I just missed you too much." Just then, Mike and Julia laughed, making us all join in.

We led them back to where we had been sitting previously and introduced my mother to everyone there.

However, Emma and Deirdre were not about to miss the opportunity to embarrass me in front of everyone when, to Laurie, Emma winked and said, "Gosh Laurie! Ms. Tara is a beautiful woman. No wonder Tommy is so pretty." This, of course, brought another cacophony of female laughter, also evoking a crimson blush that spread across my neck and ears.

"Come, take a walk with me, Tommy. I need to talk to you about something," said Mom, winking at Julia.

I found her behavior a bit odd, but being the dumbass that I now knew that I was back then; I went with her and didn't think a thing about it. As we walked away from the festivities to a secluded area, Mom looked at me smiling and said, "You love her, don't you?"

"Who're you talking about, Mom?" I teased.

She stopped walking and, taking my hand, she firmly replied, "John Thomas Mason Junior, you know damned good and well who I'm talking about. Now I'm going to ask you again. Do you love her?"

I smiled and replied, "I love her more than life itself, Mom."

My mother grinned, and with tears beginning to form in her eyes again, reached into her purse and brought out a box. As she was handing it to me, she gripped my hand and looked into my eyes and said, "These are your grandmother's engagement and wedding rings. I want Laurie to have them when you ask her to marry you, baby."

My heart began to swell and the only thing I could do was, to wrap my arms around Mom and hug her tightly, and say, "I love you, Mom."

"I love you, too, baby. Now, put me down you big oaf," she chuckled as I lifted her off the ground. We walked back to where everyone was at the party and I saw Mike grinning at me like the Cheshire Cat.

"What is it, Mike?" I asked, stupidly.

He turned around and, reaching behind him, produced a guitar case that, upon closer examination, I discovered was mine. He looked at me and said, "We heard that you knew how to play guitar real well so, I asked your Mom to bring yours with her when she came out here so I could hear you play myself.

No sooner had he told me this when, coming from the band's public address system, Damon's voice said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a very special guest with us here tonight. He's a great guitar player and a great guy. Would you put your hands together for Mr. Tommy Mason?"

It was clear to me now that this whole thing had been a set-up from the start. I looked at my mother and said, "I want to talk to you when I get done playing."

She smiled and said, "Yeah, Yeah, now go play, handsome."

I kissed Laurie before I went on stage and said, "I love you."

Mike handed me my guitar case and said, "Knock 'em dead, son."

When I got to the stage, I opened my guitar case and withdrew my 1967, Fender Stratocaster™, who I affectionately called, Isabella, and strapped her on. When I walked onto the stage, all the guys, Damon included, were glad to see me and I them. I wasn't sure what kind of music to play, and to Damon, said, "I can dance to it but, I don't know how to play any country music."

Damon just laughed and said, "Just be yourself, brother. You're the best guitar player I've ever heard and I know you like to rock and roll, so let's rock and roll!"

"Do you guys know 'Since I've Been Loving You' by Led Zeppelin'?" I asked.

Damon laughed again and said, "Yes, we do but, I can't sing it, can you?"

I looked at Damon and, smiling, said, "Yeah brother, let's rock!"

This is one of my most favorite tunes to play and as any true Zeppelin fan knows; the song starts off with a nice guitar lead intro before the vocals begin. I hadn't sung in years but, for some reason, I was able to pull it off without a hitch. I sang with all my heart and as I looked down on the audience; I saw Laurie looking at me with eyes that were dancing like candles in the wind. Isabella, my guitar, sang in her sweet, melodic voice when it came time for me to take the lead. As Isabella and I began our dance together, I realized that Laurie was my destiny and it was something that I could no longer deny. The more Isabella wailed for me, the more my heart began to empty itself of all the pain I'd ever felt. The loss of my father as well as the pain and guilt I carried from my time in the service, all vanished, and when the end of the song came; I felt as though I'd been reborn anew. It was then that I did what my heart was now compelling me to do. The audience went wild and as everyone was applauding me, no one was clapping and whistling louder than my beautiful Laurie. I leaned back and, to Damon, I softly said, "Can I have a minute on the microphone? There's something I need to say to someone very special."

"You take all the time you need, brother," he replied.

As soon as the applause died down, I stepped back up to the microphone and said, "I would like to thank everyone for your applause. You're all very kind. I'd like to take just a minute of your time, if you don't mind."

"We don't mind, do we? Go ahead, Tommy," said Damon, on the bass player's microphone. And of course, the audience applauded again.

Once they were quiet again, I looked out across the audience, and finding my beautiful Laurie, I said, "There's a girl here that I'm sure you all know. Her name is Laurie Watson, and as I'm also sure you all know, we've been kind of seeing each other for a while. Not to take up more of your time than what is absolutely necessary, I want to tell you all that I've fallen deeply, hopelessly and madly in love with her." Then looking directly at her, I continued, "Laurie, you know how I feel about you and how we feel about each other. I can't imagine my life without you and because of that; I'm sure that I'd most certainly wither away and die if I ever lost you. So, I'm asking you if you'll honor me by spending the rest of your life with me as my wife."

With the stage being no more than three feet off of the ground, Laurie came squealing and crying as she ran across the dance floor and leapt off of the ground and into my arms. "I'll take that as a yes, then," I said, as the microphone picked up everything that was said.

"You'd damn well better," she said, smiling through the tears that were now raining down her face.

I looked at Damon and the rest of the band and said said, "Thanks, guys! I really appreciate it." To the sound of everyone's applause, I kissed my beautiful Laurie, forever sealing the bond between us. I looked over to where my mother and Laurie's parents where sitting to see Julia and my Mom holding one another while smiling and crying.

The moment we were off the stage, Emma and Deirdre immediately hugged Laurie and through happy tears, Emma said, "Congratulations baby-girl! We always knew that you were going to be the first one of us to be married."

"I'm so happy for you both," added Deirdre.

Before anyone else could speak, I reached into my pocket and with drew the box that contained my grandmother's rings. I opened the box and withdrew the engagement ring and to everyone's astonishment; it fit Laurie's finger perfectly. "These rings belonged to my grandmother and now they belong to you," I said, handing Laurie the box that contained the wedding ring. Laurie was so moved that all she could do was wrap her arms tightly around me and cry. I held her closely, reaffirming my love for her. The rest of the night was spent dancing with the beautiful woman who was to be, not only my wife, but my destiny.

When we got back to the house that night, Julia wasted no time moving Mom into my room and me into Laurie's room. When I asked her what she was doing, she smiled and hugged me, then releasing me from the hug, said, "You two are engaged to be married, and Laurie's father and I think that, if the two of you want to sleep together; then it's just fine by us."

I put my arms back around Julia and said, "I love you...Mom."

"I know you do and I love you, too, sweet boy," replied Julia, her eyes beginning to tear. I slept that night with my beautiful Laurie lying beside me, curled softly against me and tenderly sleeping in my arms.

Chapter Eleven

When I opened my eyes the next morning, I rolled over to find the bed empty. However, Laurie's scent still permeated the sheets where she lay the night before. I layed my face onto the sheet and inhaled deeply, gathering her essence into my lungs. When I exhaled, I felt momentarily alone without her inside of me. As soon as I sat up in bed, the door came open and there was my love to greet me.

"Good morning, my handsome fiancée," Laurie happily chirped.

I reached up and gathered her into my arms and replied, "Good morning to you, my beautiful bride to be." She smiled and went to kiss me before I stopped her and said, "Honey, you don't want to kiss me until I brush my teeth to ward off the dragon that took a shit in my mouth."

She laughed and said, "Silly boy! I love you so; I don't care. Now, shut up and kiss me." Who was I to argue so, I did. Afterward, I went into the bathroom and got cleaned up for the breakfast that Laurie made certain I knew both of our mother's were downstairs making.

The moment we arrived downstairs, Mom smiled and said, "Good lord, Tommy. I can sure tell that Mike and Julia have been spoiling you by letting you sleep so late. You sure don't do that at home."

"Well, Mom, I hate to tell you this but I think that before long; Montana's gonna be my home," I said, smiling at Laurie.

My mother stood up and came over to where Laurie and I were standing. Putting her arms around Laurie, Mom kissed her on the cheek and, hugging her, said, "I know that you'll take better care of him here, sweetie."

"Thanks Ms. Tara. I just want you to know that I love Tommy with all my heart and I promise to always love him like that," said Laurie, as she hugged my mother in return.

"I know you will, sweet baby girl," said Mom, and after kissing each other's cheek, she turned to me, and playfully smacking me on the butt, said, "Get your ass in there and eat the breakfast that Julia and I slaved over for you two this morning."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," I mocked, teasing Mom with Laurie giggling like the little girl I remembered from long ago.

I smiled when I saw that Mom had made her world famous (not really but, I sure like them) western omelets, one on each plate with steam rising off every single one. Laurie took one look, and squealing delightfully, said, "I remember how you used to make these when I was a little girl, Ms. Tara."

My mother smiled and, looking at both Laurie and I, said, "Yes, and I remember how you two used to love eating them too," and after she said this, she just stared at the two of us, lovingly, remaining silent as a lone tear ran down her left cheek.

"Ms. Tara, are you alright?" Laurie asked.

"Mom, what is it? Are you okay?" I asked, concerned.

She just smiled, shaking her head as she wiped her face with the back of her hand, and said, "Yes, I'm fine. I was just thinking of your father, Tommy, and how so very proud he would be of both of you."

Laurie pulled my mother into a hug and with tears beginning to form in her own eyes as well, looked at her and said, "I love you.....Mama!"

"I know and I love you too, baby girl. I loved you your whole life and I know that you and Tommy are gonna be great together," Mom replied, smiling sadly.

"I know that they're gonna give us some beautiful grand babies to spoil," added Julia, laughing.

"Hey, do I get a say in this?" I asked, grinning.

"NO!" said Laurie, Mom and Julia in unison, then all three giggling like little school girls.

Suddenly, Mike came running through the back door panting, and pointing outside, said, "Tommy! Come quick, it's John!"

With Laurie, Mom and Julia following us, Mike and I ran to the stables to find a strange truck with a horse trailer attached to the back of it parked out in front. I could hear men talking inside with their voices raised. When we finally got inside, I found a man standing against the wall, with John Kettle holding the muzzle of a shotgun at the man's throat. "John! What the hell is going on?" I asked.

"This asshole says that he's come here to take Mo'ehno'ha away," replied John, bitterly.

"Take it easy, John. We can work this out. Please take the weapon from his throat," I said, speaking gently. Looking at me with question in his eyes, John was hesitant at first until I gently added, "Its okay, my brother. I'm not going to let them take Mo away, I promise."

"As John lowered his weapon from the man's throat, with fear written across the man's face and anger in his voice, the man said, "Are you people crazy?"

"Who are you and what do you want?" I sternly asked.

"My name is Lyle Patterson and I represent the Montana Cattlemen's Association." replied the man, and then after rubbing his throat where John had previously held a weapon, he added, "By their authority, I'm here to take this animal and have him destroyed."

"They have no authority to do any such thing, and you can tell that old motherfucker, Zach Harper, that I said that he and the rest of those cock suckers in the Association can all go to hell," Mike angrily replied, and then as an afterthought, added, "...and the next one of you to set foot on my land will be your last. Do I make myself clear, asshole?"

"I'll come back with a warrant, God dammit," spouted Patterson.

Placing his shotgun back at Patterson's throat, John looked at Mike and said, "I can make this man disappear, if needs be!"

Mike laughed and said, "No, not this time, John. We'll let him go." Then glaring at Patterson, he growled, "Your warrants hold no power here. You've been warned, now, get the fuck outta here and don't come back, asshole."

Patterson said nothing, and after he'd turned and left; Laurie looked at Mike and said, "Are they really gonna kill Mo?"

"Hell no, they're going to have to get through me if they try!" I interjected.

Hugging his daughter to him, Mike smiled and added, "Don't you worry your pretty little head about anything, sweetheart. Everything is gonna be just fine, okay?"

"Okay Daddy," replied Laurie, hugging her father, contentedly.

"Michael, you know they're gonna be coming for that horse, don't you?" Julia warily said.

Mike laughed and replied, "Let em come. They're not gonna find him..." then looking at John, continued, "....are they?"

"Who is, they?" I asked, interjecting.

Mike turned to me and said, "They, is actually one person….Zachary Harper. He's a retired Army Colonel, whose family not only helped found the Montana Cattlemen's Association, but years ago, was given the authority by the state to take care of rogue animals, like cattle and horses, at his discretion. Any humane person would have the vet put them down. But no, this asshole uses his authority like a weapon. He thinks he has the right to, more or less, take law into his own hands sometimes. Don't get me wrong, it's never been anything serious, well, not anything that was ever proven in a court of law, until now. I never have trusted that son-of-a-bitch and I still don't. We're going to have to get Mo outta here if we want to keep him alive." Then looking at John, Mike nodded his head, motioning to an imaginary distance.