The Scrapbook

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
wetapap
wetapap
373 Followers

"Don't worry Brat, you know I love you. If it turns out you are pregnant, we'll get married. End of problem," Tony said with a smile.

Grinning, Steph threw her arms around his neck, "Well I love you too, but let's hope and pray that when the time comes, we don't HAVE to get married. My parents would be much happier and I'm sure yours would too. Now, what are we doing tonight? I feel like partying."

She had her answer a few minutes later when the convertible came to a stop in the same place by the lake. Steph instantly knew what he had on his mind when Tony smiled and looked at the back seat. This time there were no doubts, he wore a condom and she did enjoy it.

**********

The day of her graduation Steph felt like shit. What should have been one of the greatest nights of her life, turned into pure hell. Her period was over a day late which had her nerves tied in knots, which made her stomach hurt, which in turn left her feeling nauseous. She prayed the stomach pains were pre-menstrual cramps.

**********

Now, a week later, while sitting at another commencement Steph wondered, 'Why did mom insist I attend Amber's graduation? So what if she finished college, so have thousands of others. What's the big deal? And why does half of Wetap feel compelled to be here?' She was amazed while looking around at how many employees and their families were there.

'Where I need to be is at the pharmacy getting a pregnancy test,' Steph thought to herself. 'As soon as I get away from here, that's where I'm headed.

'God, I pray I'm wrong, but I'm never late, not even one day. I am always on time, every twenty-eight days regular as clockwork. Now it's been more than a week. I'm fucked... I just know I'm pregnant. Mom and dad are going to kill me.

Later that day, her worst fears were confirmed. She cried.

**********

"I told you 'no problem.' We'll get married and I'll make you and the baby the happiest two people alive," Tony reassured her. "Look at it this way, instead of one Brat, I'll have two," he laughed.

Steph felt so relieved that she squealed, threw her arms around his neck, and planted a long drawn out kiss on his lips.

"Wow, you keep that up and I'll be the happiest man alive," Tony jokingly told her.

"Well, when are we going to tell our parents? The sooner the better, I don't want to be showing at the ceremony."

"Okay, but let's think this through. There are a lot of things to take into consideration before we jump in any direction," he warily said.

"Like what?" a leery and worried Steph asked.

"Well for one, we don't want to screw up our future. My parents are going to go through the roof. I have no idea what they will do." Tony suggested with a very serious look on his face, "They might even decide not to pay for my college expenses. Where would that leave us?

"Even with my scholarship, there'll still be a ton of extra expenses, especially now with a baby on the way. No, we have to think it through carefully. We'll need all the support our parents can give us. Making adversaries of them could be suicidal to our future."

Just as she was about to lose her patience waiting to see where he was headed with this conversation, Tony blurted out, "I've got it."

"I'm certainly glad," Steph said sarcastically. Then after a short pause, added, "Well, are you going to share it with me?"

Laughing, he replied, "Of course, we're a team now. We share everything." After another short pause to finalize his thoughts, Tony continued, "But, we're not going to tell anyone a thing until I've gotten my first semester allowance and living expenses from my parents. Then it will be too late for them to back out. If nothing else, that will get us through the first semester and give them time to adjust to the idea. I know they'll come around sooner or later. Once the baby is here, they'll be hooked for life. They'll adore their grandkid... trust me."

Showing more than a little concern, she asked, "And when will all this be taking place? We don't have forever to make plans and decisions. There is a set timetable growing while we're talking, you know?"

He chuckled, "Look Brat, I'm well aware of the 'growing timetable.' But knowing my parents, they won't turn loose of the money until the last minute. That'll make it at the end of the summer, we have to wait until then."

Steph exploded, "DAMN IT TONY, that'll make it almost too late.... What if something goes wrong?"

"Too late... what are you saying Brat, too late for what? And what do you mean if something goes wrong?" He asked in a puzzled voice.

Now crying, Steph ashamedly replied, "Too late to get an abortion if you can't marry me." Her crying now turned to embarrassed sobbing.

"Brat, hon... forget that idea. Nothing, and I mean nothing is going to prevent us from getting married when the time comes. I only want the best for us. All I'm asking is that we approach everything in a practical manner. It's not only for our future, but for the baby's as well," Tony iterated as he took her in his arms and comforted her. "Don't worry, everything will work out. It has to, we love each other."

**********

Steph was a nervous wreck. Tony's parents had paid his college expenses yesterday and deposited his first semester allowance into his checking account. Last night he finally told her, "It's time Brat, tomorrow is the day, so be ready. When I pick you up, we're going straight to my house, tell my parents, and then we'll talk to yours."

'Damn, bet I didn't get two hours sleep last night... maybe three hours max.' She thought to herself, 'My insides are shaking so bad, hope it doesn't hurt the baby.'

Steph looked in the mirror, 'God, I look horrible. These dark circles under my eyes ought to make a good impression on his parents. Oh hell, why am I worrying about impressions? It's not as though they haven't seen me a hundred times in the last few months. Get a grip girl. You're going to need it before this day is over.'

She suddenly realized, 'It's not his parents I have to worry about. Oh God, this is going to kill mom and dad. I know they love me and will stand behind me, but it's not what they've hoped and dreamed for all these years. This can't be the way they'd envisioned having grandchildren either. God, what have we done?'

**********

It was turning into one of those late summer scorchers. The heat wasn't helping her nerves as Steph watched the minutes slowly tick off the clock. 'Damn,' she wondered, 'why didn't I ask Tony what time he was picking me up?' Her feet hurt from pacing the floor, it was almost lunch time.

'I'll give him till noon, then I'm going to call and get his ass out of bed. How can he sleep in on a day like this? I can't even breathe, let alone sleep,' Steph thought.

After fixing herself a small snack, she was too nervous to eat. Barely able to swallow her first mouthful, Steph dumped the rest into the trash as her stomach began to play hell with that single bite. 'It's time,' she thought and, picking up the phone, dialed Tony's number.

**********

"Aw, there you are," a strange voice floated through Steph's head. As her vision cleared, she looked up to see her Doctor leaning over and peering into her eyes.

"She's going to be fine. Just a little lump on the head, but we'll keep her overnight to make sure. Blood pressure is a little high, but a good night's rest should take care of that," he said.

Steph heard, "Thank goodness," and immediately recognized her mom's voice.

Raising her head to look around the small room, she saw her parents standing at the foot of her bed. Steph looked at their loving, but concerned faces and tears welled up in her eyes as she remembered, 'They still don't know.'

Suddenly Steph was overwhelmed with confusion. "How did I get here? What happened?" she asked.

Her parents looked at each other. Finally her mother shrugged and replied, "We don't know. I found you lying unconscious on the living room floor. Evidently you passed out and hit your head on the corner table. We called an ambulance and have been praying ever since. Thank Goodness the doctor doesn't seem to think it's anything serious."

Now Steph began to remember, 'Tony was supposed to come and pick me up. I grabbed a bite to eat and still not hearing from him, I called his house. Damn, I knew by the sound of his mother's voice that he had told them, I'm sure of it. I am so fucked... got to get my parents out of here before I lose it.'

She quietly asked, "Mom, dad, will you excuse me, I'm feeling awfully tired. Must be the medication, I'm going to roll over and try to get some sleep if you don't mind?"

"Of course baby," her dad said, "we sort of dropped everything when your mother found you. There are some things we need to take care of. We'll be back after dinner. That'll give you time to get some rest."

They came around the bed and after kissing her, said, "We love you sweetheart, now get some sleep."

Right after they left, the doctor came over and sat on the edge of her bed. "Steph, I've known you all your life. I've treated every cut and scrape you've walked in here with.... Do your parents know you're pregnant?"

She broke down, the tears flowed, "No sir, not yet. The plan was for today, but things didn't work out. I'll tell them as soon as I get home. They have to know."

The doctor smiled and nodded 'Yes.' As he rose to go, Steph saw Mark standing in the doorway behind him.

'Oh no, he heard it all. Mark knows,' but instead of feeling ashamed or embarrassed, oddly enough, she felt relieved. 'Why wouldn't I?' Steph pondered. Her thoughts were confirmed as she looked into the smiling but understanding face of her best friend on earth.

It took almost two hours for Steph to fill Mark in and tell him the whole story, especially since her stress caused her to repeat several things over and over. He patiently let her rattle on about her problems as she unloaded her worries and concerns, after all, what are friends for?

'That's odd... this is the most relaxed I've felt since the day I agreed to be Tony's girl.' Steph thought to herself. 'I never realized how much I've missed my long talks with Mark.'

As her best friend sat and listened, he became very upset, but kept it to himself, when Steph told him how she had been treated over the phone. "He isn't here and won't be back anytime soon." Tony's mother had contemptuously informed her. "He caught an early morning flight to the university."

When Steph asked about leaving Tony a message, she was arrogantly informed, "For the life of me, I can't imagine why.... But, if my son wants to get in touch... I'm sure he has your number by now."

Stressed to the max and going on very little sleep, the news, the taunt, and the insulting attitude of Tony's mother proved to be too much. Steph had fainted and evidently hit her head as she collapsed.

"What am I going to do? I'm a nervous wreck and I'm scared to death. My parents are going to kill me."

He laughed, "Yeah, sure they will. You get a good nights rest and I'll be here when they let you out of this money making prison. Tell your mom and dad I'll pick you up tomorrow and bring you home. Don't worry, I'll be there when you tell your parents. Surely they won't kill you... not in front of a witness."

For the first time in a long time, Steph laughed, a real laugh. It felt good. As always, Mark had a way of putting everything in perspective, making it seem simple. She no longer felt afraid, not with him at her side.

**********

They had just sat down on her parents couch when Steph nervously said, "Mom, dad, I...."

Suddenly Mark interrupted her, "We need to tell you something and it's very serious. All we can ask is that you try to be as understanding as possible."

Her mom and dad glanced at each other in confusion as they sat in their easy chairs. The look on their faces said it all, they had no idea what was coming.

Before anyone could speak, he continued, "We felt you needed to know that Steph is pregnant. She is going to have... you're going to be grandparents."

Immediately spinning in her seat, Steph stared in open mouth shock at Mark. She was trying her level best to get her head wrapped around what he was saying and what it meant.

Everyone looked up as her dad jumped out of his chair and bellowed, "Say that again please, I don't think we heard you correctly."

Mark stood and calmly replied, "No sir, you didn't misunderstand. I regret having to inform you this way, but Steph is going to have a baby. It's now a fact we have to deal with."

"I'll deal with you... you fuckin' punk. Get my daughter in trouble then have the gall to march in here like you own the goddamn place. Why I ought to...," her dad approached him with clenched fist.

Steph's dad got right in the young man's face before spinning off and circling the room. He did that three times as his wife and daughter sat nervously watching. Mark stood his ground each time. His demeanor wasn't threatening, but he made his thoughts perfectly clear, 'Sir, I will take whatever you decide to dish out.'

Finally Steph's mom angrily said, "Now hon, that's not going to do a damn bit of good. Get a hold of yourself and calm down. The kids have made a mistake, but they're trying to do the right thing. They've come to us with their problem. Let's try to help... if nothing else, let's at least not make the situation worse."

Her dad stopped. "You are either the stupidest son-of-a-bitch I've ever met... or the bravest young man alive... or... maybe both," he said. Before plopping back into his chair, he added with red faced anger, "Ok... I know you've talked it over. What's your game plan at the moment?"

Mark glanced down and could see the shock on Steph's face at what he'd said and done. While continuing to look at her, he replied, "Well I can't answer for Steph, and it is her life we are talking about. So I'm going to let her make the decision as to what she wants, and I will support her choice, no matter what it is."

"I... I... damn it, I don't know what I want or even what I should do. But at the moment, I think it would be best if you left so that I can talk with my parents alone. I want their advice before I decide anything," Steph said. "I'll call you later, after we're finished."

"One question before you leave, young man," her dad spoke up. "Are you willing to marry my daughter if that's what she decides?"

"DAD!" Steph almost screamed in surprise.

"It's a fair question," her dad replied, "and you have to know in order to consider all your options."

Before anyone could say another word, Mark spoke up, "Yes sir, I am. I would consider it an honor to marry your daughter."

Once more she sat staring at him in the same open mouth manner as he turned to walk out the door.

**********

Steph called Mark later that evening. After a couple of questions, which he answered to her satisfaction, the wedding was set for the middle of the following month.

**********

For the first time, Steph's dad finally smiled at Mark. It was right before the wedding. He walked up, stuck out his hand and said, "Welcome to the family son. I want you to know that I think you're one hell of a fine young man to step up to the plate and assume your responsibilities."

As Mark shook hands with his future father-in-law, he couldn't help saying, "It isn't a chore sir. I've loved her... all my life. I not only consider it a privilege, it's my pleasure."

Her dad just smiled and nodded while gently squeezing Mark's arm. Then after patting him on the shoulder a couple of times, Steph's dad turned to walk off, trying his best to hide his misty eyes. Mark noticed though and smiled as he pondered, 'Must be a senior high school trait that all boys carry through life.'

Four and a half months later, their daughter was born.

**********

'That was almost five years ago. In all that time not a word from Tony. Now here he is, evidently having an affair with Marcie. How could this have been going on without Ken or me knowing a thing? Especially since we haven't heard a thing about Tony being back,' Mark wondered.

Then staring across the table, he asked, "When? Not only when, but how was Marcie able to do this without you suspecting a thing?"

His friend's face was etched with sorrow as he slowly shook his head and replied in a quavering voice, "Mark... it's... not Marcie. Turn the page."

After flipping to the next page, Mark was momentarily confused. But suddenly he shot out of his chair with such force that it slammed backwards across the room, bouncing off the cabinets. The next two pages were nothing but old pictures of Steph and Tony. Mark remembered them, but thought they'd been trashed years ago.

When asked what she had done with them, he recalled Steph's exact words, "I put them where they belong, in the scrap heap with the rest of his mementos. Nothing of his is left in this house."

Moving with such speed that Ken was actually afraid, Mark slammed the scrapbook shut and grabbed it up to throw across the room. His arms were in forward motion when he caught himself and held fast as the book came around with such force that Ken ducked. With his neck bulging, Mark raised it above his head, still fighting his raging desire to bounce the goddamn thing off the walls.

Finally he slammed the book back down on the table. Not with enough force to damage either, but hard enough to spill coffee and cause Ken to jump in his seat. Mark turned and grabbed a dishtowel. After mopping up the coffee and picking up his chair, he sat back down.

Stone faced and stiff as a board, Mark started slowly going through the scrapbook, one page at a time. Occasionally he would stop to study some of the more recent photos of Tony or glance down one of the many clippings about his accomplishments in sports. There were more than a few about his academic awards as well.

Every now and then Mark paused to read one of the many letters that unbeknownst to him, his wife obviously had been receiving during the last five years. It seemed a few of her friends had gone to the same university as Tony and were secretly keeping her abreast of his ever advancing life and career. Several mentioned that occasionally he would ask, "How are Steph and the baby doing?" She and her friends evidently felt that the regular mail was safer than email.

There was not one single correspondence from Tony, or any indication that the two of them had tried to contact each other personally. Mark didn't know if that fact made him feel better... or worse. 'If it turns out that he doesn't really care about her... what a waste of time... and lives all of this will have been,' Mark thought to himself.

He also realized, 'This is why I've wondered many times about that faraway look in Steph's eyes. And the reason our relationship always seems so hot and cold in spite of her being a devoted mother and going through the motions of being a good wife.'

Mark thought, 'For the most part, she is full of glowing love, looking at me with those adoring eyes. There are also the times when she can't seem to get close enough to me, or enough of me.'

He knew, 'That's what kept me going, hanging on, and got me through the other. Every so often, especially of late, she would become distant, preoccupied, almost like a different person and I sensed something was missing. Now I know what... or who was missing and where she was.'

'But how could Steph have received all these letters and I never noticed?' Mark wondered, then in a flash realized, 'Of course... Marcie... it had to be.'

wetapap
wetapap
373 Followers