The Scrapbook

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
wetapap
wetapap
373 Followers

"Sorry Mark, but after tossing it around for a couple of days, I'm not any closer to a solution than when I started. The only conclusion I've been able to reach... I think it would be best if we just sat down and put all our cards on the table so to speak. Try to 'hash it out' between us. See if we can't come up with an amiable or at least tolerable solution that will allow us to work together.

"I know you don't care for me personally or what happened. And I can't say that I blame you. I do want you to know that I've changed a lot in the last few years. Guess you might say I finally started growing up.

"Let me begin by offering my sincere apology for that night at the reunion, I was way out of line. I can promise you, nothing like that will ever happen again."

As Tony spoke, Mark studied his face. Now he sat reflecting on the words. A little surprised, Mark discovered he had no doubts about their sincerity.

"Okay, apology accepted," Mark said and stuck out his hand which was readily grasped in a heart felt handshake. "I would like to know one thing though," he added.

"Fire away. I'll answer any and all questions I can, Mark. I have nothing to hide."

"Out of curiosity Tony, did you ever have real feelings for Steph, or was she just a plaything for your pleasure and amusement?"

Tony's countenance suddenly fell and Mark realized that he had never seen him look so defeated. 'Hell, I've never seen Tony anywhere but in "the winner's circle" and always reeking with confidence. This is not the arrogant boy that I've always known.'

'Mark, this is just between you and I, please never repeat it outside this office. But back in high school I thought Steph was the love of my life. It was my full intent to marry her. I only left for college that morning because, unbeknownst to me, my parents had already bought my plane ticket. Even as I boarded the plane, they assured me everything would be taken care of.

"It was only after I'd arrived, settled in, and started my classes that they called to inform me about the announcement of your wedding plans. I tried to call Steph, but her mother kept telling me that she was out and would have to call me back.

"I finally figured out afterwards that her mom was only stalling me. Anyway, the next thing I knew, a few days later, you two were married. I assumed that Steph married the man she truly loved.

"But at the same time, I have to be honest. Looking back now, I think it was nothing more than a deep high school infatuation. If I had really been in love with Steph, why didn't I hop a flight and at least try to stop her from getting married? I didn't even send an email or write a letter.

"I've come to accept the fact that I ended up using your wedding plans as an excuse to sidestep my responsibilities. Deep down, I think I was scared, not only of getting married, but also of having a family and the thought of what that would do to my overall future. I know it sounds shallow and selfish, well... it was.

"On the one hand, I had what I thought was my love and desire for Steph, on the other I had college, an athletic scholarship, and career plans. It seemed as though the two were at odds. I guess the only way to describe my feelings at the time, I wanted my cake and eat it too.

"You made it easy. By stepping in and doing what I should have, you provided me with the perfect copout. I couldn't be held accountable if I was no longer responsible."

Caught by surprise, Mark asked, "Then why did you put a move on my wife at the reunion?"

Now Tony looked surprised, "That's easy to answer. I was no longer afraid, my education was complete, my athletic career was over, and I had a great job. Remember, I said I wanted my cake and eat it too. Well it was time to get the cake. I wanted it all.

"If I had any doubts, they were erased the moment I saw Steph that night. In that instant, along with the memories, I wanted her back, no matter what the cost. Mark, I am truly sorry for that."

"Tony, I'm a little confused. If that's true, then why didn't you try to get back with Steph after our separation?"

With a surprised look, Tony replied, "Evidently she didn't tell you Mark, but I did try. Let's have no misunderstanding though, I only called her because you were out of the picture. I learned my lesson the night of the reunion, which as I said, will never happen again."

"What do you mean you tried? Tony, if it's not too personal, I would truly like to know what happened."

"It's really no big deal, Mark. After I heard the two of you had split up, I just picked up the phone. After what happened at the reunion, Steph seemed surprised I would call, but even more so when I asked her out."

An overly anxious Mark quickly fired, "And what did she say."

"Well if Steph had accepted, it would be public knowledge and you wouldn't be asking. Your wife let me know that even though the two of you were separated, she was still a married woman and very much in love with her husband. Steph informed me the only desire she had was that you would eventually forgive her and the two of you could put your family back together.

"And that was it? You only called once?" Mark pressed the issue.

Tony frowned, "You know me better than that. But I did only call her twice. I gave it a rest for a few weeks and when the word was out the two of you were still separated, I tried again...."

"And?" Mark semi demanded.

"This time I was told in 'no uncertain terms' to never call again. I knew then she was loyal and serious about remaining faithful to you. It was at that point I decided to let Steph go... forever. Whatever we had before was over. I accepted that and have even moved on myself."

From the smile on Tony's face, Mark had to ask, "Oh yeah, in what way?"

"I'm happy to announce that as of last night, I am, or we, my fiancée and I, are now officially engaged. We have been dating for over a year and corny as it sounds, have fallen madly in love with each other. But this time, I know for a fact that it's true love. She's fantastic, what else can I say?"

"Anyone I know?" Mark asked.

Tony squirmed in his chair, then pleaded, "Now whatever you do, please don't get upset. She and I love each other very much and really believe that even though we discovered each other late, we were truly meant for each other."

Mark frowned, "Okay, but quit beating around the bush, who is she?"

With a grin, Tony proudly announced, "Kasey."

A feather could have knocked Mark over at that moment. But as he sat there for a few moments analyzing the two of them together, strangely, it slowly started to make perfect sense.

Kasey had evidently given up on landing Mark. She had tried several times to get together with him, but between his daughter and school, he never seemed to have time for anything... or anyone else.

As Mark sat reflecting on the chain of events, he recalled, 'I also had to finally face the fact, I still loved my wife. There was no room or desire to work someone else into my life. Damn there still isn't. It's going to take a lot longer than I ever realized to get over Steph."

Suddenly for the first time since their meeting started, Mark smiled as he offered his hand again and sincerely said, "Congratulations Tony. I'm truly happy for both of you and sincerely wish you the best."

Mark noticed Tony had a distracted look as they shook hands. "Is there something else?" He asked.

"I'm kind of surprised you didn't ask about my feelings for my daught... your daughter," Tony responded.

Shocked, Mark realized he hadn't even stopped to think Tony might actually care about his... their daughter. 'Damn, I don't know if I really want to go there,' Mark thought to himself. 'But it's a fact of life, and can't just be swept under the rug.'

"You're right, Tony. To me she has always been my daughter and I never think of you as her father. That's my fault."

Before he could say more, Tony interrupted, "Mark, rest assured, I would never and will never do anything to interrupt or interfere in your relationship with... your daughter. I do hope you understand though, that not being able to know or have any kind of meaningful relationship of my own with her is the most painful thing in my life.

"I'll never repeat this again, but if you ever need any kind of help, financial or otherwise for her, please call me immediately." With that statement, Tony didn't cry, but he did shed a tear.

Mark was at a loss for words, then realized there was actually nothing more to be said about the subject. He nodded his head.

After discussing the company and some mutual projects, they stood and shook hands one more time.

As Tony walked out the door, he thought, 'I've been wracking my head ever since the reunion. Trying to figure out who they, or should I say Richard, had selected to be our new CEO. At the time, no one, and I mean no one working here would, or could meet the standards, qualifications, and criteria needed.

'Now I'll be damned if I didn't just have my first meeting with our future CEO,' Tony chuckled to himself. 'Mark will make a good one. Funny... the thought of him at the helm even makes me feel good about our company's future.'

**********

As Mark closed the door of his vehicle, he looked up the steps leading to the front doors of the Wetap mansion. 'Funny,' he thought, 'I remember the first time I climbed those steps. My dad came here for a job interview and he let me tag along. I was just a little kid.

'While he was inside I sat out here waiting, right on these very steps. I never dreamed that behind those doors a job offer was being made which would end up determining my father's entire future. In turn, he probably didn't realize so much of my future was unconsciously being decided along with his.

'Back then those doors looked so big. At the time I had no idea how big they truly were... and still are. Many lives besides ours have turned on their hinges.'

There was one other memory of that day. Mark recalled it with a bittersweet fondness. While waiting patiently for his dad to return, a little girl about his age came skipping up. She had been watching her feet and suddenly noticed him sitting there on the steps.

Although startled at first, the little girl broke into a smile. After the smile came the sweetest sounding laughter Mark had ever heard... and then she said, "Hi. My name's Stephanie."

He fell in love with her at that very moment and has been ever since. After shaking the heart rending memory from his head, Mark walked up the steps.

Just then one of the doors swung open and he looked up to see Gordon smiling as always. Mark realized, 'I never noticed before, but he's really beginning to show his age.' Then he remembered, 'Gee, it's been over twenty years since Gordon first held that door for my dad.'

Suddenly Maria walked up and informed him, "Mark, Richard is expecting you, but Steph is in his office at the moment. Sorry for the inconvenience, but their business should be concluded shortly."

While sitting on the sofa in front of his employer's office, he noticed several pieces of luggage sitting in the foyer. 'They must belong to my wife and daughter, their flight is today. Richard is probably finalizing some last minute details since, technically, she will still be working for him.'

As the office door opened, Steph and his daughter walked out with Richard right behind them. She seemed very surprised to find her husband sitting there. As he stood up, his daughter shouted, "Daddy, daddy," and threw her arms around his waist.

"Well Steph," Richard said, "you've done an excellent job. And even though we'll miss you, I know your new employer will appreciate you just as much. Your taxi should be here any minute. Gordon will carry your luggage out, so relax, have a good trip, and don't worry. You'll do fine at your new job. I've already laid the ground work for your arrival."

Then turning to Mark, "I'm sure you want to say goodbye. So when you're finished, just come on in," he said before going back into his office.

Steph had that same longing look, but, as usual, smiled when she stepped forward and kissed him on the cheek. "Good luck and take care of yourself," Steph whispered in his ear.

Mark was fighting hard to hold back a flood of tears. It didn't help when his daughter, while still holding on, looked up and pleaded, "Daddy, I don't want to go, I don't want to leave you."

Looking down at her, Mark held back a half choke as he caressed the top of her head and said, "You can't let mommy go by herself. She needs you to help look after her."

Steph took their daughters hand and said, "Come on baby. Daddy has an appointment and we have to wait for the taxi."

After pulling himself together, Mark entered Richard's office and shut the door behind him. Taking a seat in front of his employer's desk, he said, "Richard.... First off I want you to know there's no way I can express all the gratitude I feel for what you have done for me and my family. We owe everything to you."

"Well Mark, even though I do appreciate that, you don't owe me a thing."

"Yeah, I only wish that were true," the young man chuckled. "But I want you to know, whatever the tab is, it's worth it."

"No, truly Mark, you don't owe me a thing. We're even."

Looking confused, he informed, "I'm referring to my school costs and family expenses, Richard. They must add up to a small fortune by now."

"It probably would have except for the fact that while working here, Steph has applied all her earnings toward your debt. I'm happy to inform you that she kept it paid in full while you were going to school, and even had a little left over. Enough to help her get set up when she starts her new job."

"Paid in full?" Mark inquired in shock.

"Every cent," Richard replied with a smile.

"But... but no one told me a thing," Mark stammered.

"That was at her request," his employer replied, "as you know, when people request confidentiality, I respect their wishes. Now, if you have nothing else, I think the taxi has arrived and I'd like to see your wife and daughter off."

As they came out the front doors, Mark noticed that Amber and Daryl had joined them to say goodbye. When Gordon picked up Steph's bags, she took her daughter's hand and they followed him to the taxi. They stood patiently waiting while he loaded their luggage.

After shutting the trunk, the taxi driver opened the back door for them. Their daughter turned and ran back up the steps, throwing her arms around Mark once more. Hugging him with all her might, she said, "Please daddy, I love you. I don't want to lose you."

With tears in his eyes, Mark dropped to one knee and squeezed her tight, "You might be leaving sweetheart, but you will never lose me. I love you too much, I'll always be there for you."

Steph said, "Come on baby, we have to go, it's time." Still crying, their daughter returned to her mother who helped her into the taxi. Before getting into the cab Steph turned, giving her husband one last soulful look. Then with obvious reluctance, she joined her daughter in the backseat and said, "Thank you," to the driver as he shut the door behind them.

Standing beside Daryl, in front of Richard and Amber, Mark was stoically suppressing an almost uncontrollable desire to shout, "STOP, wait, this is all wrong." Instead, he just looked on as his wife and daughter strained to get one last glimpse of him before the taxi started driving away.

Richard waited until Mark's misty eyes turned to look up at him, "Isn't this where the good gentleman is supposed to go running after the nice lady? In this case a fantastic one, well worth chasing in my opinion."

"If it weren't for that damned scrapbook," Mark mumbled, but not quite to himself.

Amber had been standing with her free arm behind her back. As she brought it around, they noticed her hand was holding what appeared to be a jar of ashes. "You mean the scrapbook that has been nothing but ashes since the night of the reunion when Steph burned it?"

Soon as he looked at the jar, Mark turned, bounded down the steps, and bolted for his vehicle. Jumping into the driver's seat, he started the engine and at the same time punched the speed dial on his phone.

After two rings Mark recognized the familiar sound of Steph's message service and mentally cursed, 'Damn it.' Then in desperation he tossed the phone into the passenger seat and took off in pursuit of the taxi which was slowly disappearing around the first curve.

As Mark neared the turn, he began slowing down. Suddenly with a loud 'bang' his vehicle almost swerved out of control. Barely able to guide it to the side of the road, Mark jumped out only to find that one of his front tires had blown.

This time he couldn't help cursing out loud as he yelled, 'GODDAMN IT ALL TO HELL,' while kicking the tire.

Then, without thinking, reacting more out of emotional frustration than anything else, Mark took off after the taxi on foot. After rounding the curve, he was running all out, waving his arms and shouting, "STOP, Stop... oh god, please stop." Just when Mark didn't need it, an excruciating runner's pain flared in his side.

All of a sudden he was awash with a feeling of hopelessness while helplessly watching the tail end of the taxi slowly begin to fade in the distance. Tears started running down his face as a slight sob escaped his lips. Mark slowed to a trot while he squeezed his side in a tight grip trying to ease the pain.

Just as he was about to give up and stop, Mark saw the glow of brake lights come on in the distance. In spite of the pain, with renewed hope he took off in a dead run.

**********

Amber stood grinning as both men slipped their hands into their pockets and retrieved their respective money clips. Daryl peeled off a single bill and handed it to her. She couldn't resist a slight chuckle and said, "Thank you."

Richard held his bill, each end clasped between a thumb and index finger. He snapped the bill a couple of times before asking, "And just how did you know Mark would go after her?"

Even though holding the cane in her hand, Amber was still able to reach around and snatch the bill out of his grasp while giggling, "Thank you kind sir."

Then still grinning, she answered, "Because I always bet on true love. It has never let me down. And since it always prevails, I can't lose. Now, would you two gentlemen like a chance at double or nothing?"

"Oh lord, what are we betting on this time?" her husband asked.

"Whether or not Mark will catch up with the taxi," his wife replied with a big smile as her eyebrows bounced up and down a couple of times.

Daryl enthusiastically responded, "If you are betting he will, I'll take some of that action. Mark may be young and in good shape, but that taxi is already winding out to about forty-five miles per hour headed for the main highway."

Richard was a little more skeptical, "I'm going to take the bet, but as much as I love you, I don't trust you. I'd be willing to bet that you, my love, have something up your sleeve," he laughed.

Amber snapped her fingers, "Pay up, both of you."

Her husband burst out laughing and said, "I knew it."

Daryl immediately interjected, "Wait a minute, we haven't lost the bet yet."

"Oh yes you have. George and his crew have the road blocked with their backhoe just before you get to the main highway. I already had it arranged," now it was Amber's turn to laugh.

Daryl chuckled as he handed her another bill. Richard did one of his notorious smiles as he asked, "Are those really the ashes of some scrapbook?"

"What ashes? Oh you mean these," Amber said while holding the jar up high for all to see. "I don't know what would ever give you that idea," she said laughing.

wetapap
wetapap
373 Followers