Chelsea's Twelve Days of Christmas

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank you, I can't remember ever having this brand before but I am sure the bubbles will tickle my nose just the way I like, if not better," she grinned.

"And now we are late," Harry took the box from her and left it on the bar top before taking her hand again and leading her out to the waiting car.

"Good morning Thomas," she said feeling dreadful about the misunderstanding and not having seen him since arriving home.

"Good afternoon, Miss Gillian," he winked at her, and she smiled.

Harry held her hand in the car, and she could sense his change of mood and persona as he stiffened his posture and his face lost the relaxed, easy smile that had been there during the last twenty-four hours. The company Christmas festivities were well underway when they walked in. Cheers arose from the men and women who worked directly with Harry when they saw him, and it seemed they all came to greet him. He introduced them all by name and position within his company making them feel valued.

He held her hand constantly or had an arm around her waist. Even when she moved slightly to speak to one of the women there, he stayed within arm's length of her. It seemed that he was constantly watching over her as if something might upset her and make her run again. She felt very sorry that she had made him feel that way.

Confidence and control radiated from Harry. This was his domain, and in this place, he was the undisputed king. He was known for his stiff, serious demeanour in public and she wondered if the people in this room had ever seen him relaxed and smiling. He seemed friendly but not overly so. He was cordial in asking questions about the employee's home and families, but there was little real connection there except for one man who arrived late.

"Harrison," the man said in a deep baritone, the quirk of a smile hovering on his lips.

"Xavier," Harry responded pulling Chelsea closer and placing an arm around her waist.

"Ah you have brought us an angel for Christmas I see," Xavier said smoothly taking Chelsea's hand and kissing it.

"Chelsea this is Xavier Fairman, my business partner here at the firm," Harry introduced her. "He is also a cousin of sorts."

"Ah Chelsea what a delight it is to meet you," he smiled. "Perhaps you and I should get better acquainted, a lunch date perhaps?" he oozed charm, and she could feel Harry stiffen beside her.

"That sounds lovely, perhaps you could organise a day and time with Harry, we love to have an excuse to meet for lunch," Chelsea replied glibly.

"Not that we need an excuse," Harry said with a smirk admiring the way Chelsea handled his friend and rival.

"Have you forewarned her of my favourite pastime," Xavier raised an eyebrow at Harry.

"I didn't even know you would be here today, I thought you were staying in Japan and ignoring the festive season this year," Harry said his eyebrow rising to match Xavier's. "As for your favourite pastime, I do believe you will struggle this time my friend."

"Challenge accepted," Xavier said seriously and took Chelsea's hand in his once again. "Tell me, my dear, how is it that the beast has found such a beauty? Did he imprison your father and then ransom him for you as in the fairy tale?" He asked seriously and with feigned concern. "I'm afraid if you are hoping for a transformation into a prince, you will be sorely disappointed, he is pure unadulterated beast."

"I'm so pleased to hear that," Chelsea said quietly as if taking the man into her confidence. "It's a beast that I am seeking. Charming princes can be hard to take, with all their pomp and ceremony. They tend to be so charismatic that you are never quite sure if you are falling for a charming illusionist who is never really what he seems to be."

Xavier looked startled for a moment then burst out laughing. "I think you and I could become co-conspirators in my mission to drive my friend here insane and take over the Drake empire. I will share with you of course. We should have that lunch to work out the details of an equitable split. Perhaps I could have the business holdings, and you could take the personal assets, including him of course."

"Of course," she agreed, "I would hate to leave him in some institution for the broken businessmen of the world."

"Indeed," Xavier chuckled as Harry sighed heavily and realised that they could keep this conversation going for some time.

"Well, now you're here, do you want to do your goofball awards?" Harry asked in a pained voice. "I was dreading the event, and now I can sit back and watch you do it.

"Sure who has the nominations?" the other man asked.

The next hour was filled with riotous laughter from everyone at the Christmas party, as Xavier handed out awards for, the clumsiest fall, canoodling on camera, dumbassery, and a range of other awards. The staff who won the dubious awards were presented with bonus's and printed certificates that they could display in their cubicles the following year.

They continued to party as more champagne flowed and the staff became increasing relaxed and talkative, as they snacked on food brought in by caterers. Chelsea discovered that far from being the stiff and stern man he presented as the people who worked for him found Harry to be fair and generous. He had high expectations of them all, but he paid them well and gave them the training they needed to succeed in whatever their role was in this company and beyond. After recovering from the surprise of finding out that Harry had a partner, Chelsea could see that while Harry was the stern, stable partner, Xavier was his true counterpart with his easy going fun loving attitude.

The staff enjoyed Xavier's company and talking to the man himself, but they respected Harry, and she gathered from the few conversations she had with them that he was the one they were willing to go above and beyond for in this company.

During the afternoon Harry remained less than an arms-length away from her, and she wondered just how much damage she had done to the trust in their relationship with the way she had left him on Wednesday without any real explanation of the events surrounding Julia and the altercation they'd had. He seemed to need to be in constant contact with her. The few times she had stepped away slightly to engage in a conversation he had been quick to close the gap between them again often curling his arm around her waist and pulling her tightly to his side as if he might lose her in the small crowd.

It was late in the afternoon when they finally left the company and headed home to change for the evening ahead. It was an event for a school, and that was all Chelsea knew, about their evening plans. Harry had been very reticent to give her more details about it. She had chosen a white dress with gold accessories and hoped that it wasn't too overdone for whatever the event was.

"We're late again," Harry said, and they left without her being able to ask if she looked appropriate for the night. He had hurried her to the car, and they drove in relative silence a short distance to a small school that nestled beside an imposing church. Thomas opened her door, and Harry helped her onto the footpath,

"You look beautiful," he said softly and brushed his lips over her cheek careful not to mess up the glossy red lipstick she wore.

"Thank you, you look very handsome yourself," she smiled widely as they walked towards a brightly lit hall. A familiar looking couple came out to greet them, as they near the entrance with a loud young boy held in one of each of their hands as if he might escape.

"See I told you he would here," Zander said as the boy tried to squirm free of the hands that held him.

"Hey buddy," Harry said letting go of Chelsea's hand once they were close enough and bent to pick up the boy.

"Is that her?" the boy whispered.

"Yes, but it's still a secret," Harry whispered back.

"I didn't tell," he promised, scowling at his parents who were looking at them both curiously.

"I knew I could rely on you buddy," Harry said with a wink. "Michael, this is Chelsea."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," the little boy said primly holding out his hand to her.

"It's lovely to meet you too," Chelsea said with a smile, taking his small hand in her own. "Hello again Zander, Alyson," she continued to smile. She was even more confused as to the event they were attending seeing this family here.

"The other kids are inside getting," Zander said. "We better get you in there and ready to perform." He said to Michael.

"Be ready," Michael whispered to Harry and slid down from his arms.

"Ready for what?" Zander frowned at Harry as Michael scurried off into the brightly lit hall.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Harry looked perplexed and shrugged.

"Come on Chelsea, let's go find a good seat," Alyson linked her arm with Chelsea's, and they walked ahead of the men. She was handed a paper programme of events, and Chelsea realised they were at a Christmas concert for the older members of the church who would struggle to attend the midnight mass traditional in the Catholic faith. While this wouldn't be a service as such, it would still hold elements of the faith and be performed by the children who attended the little school attached to the church and the priest who would be the master of ceremonies for the evening.

"Zander and Harry went to this school with Eric, in their early years," she explained as they sat close to the front. "Now my kids go here too. We come to this concert every Christmas Eve. Then once the kids go home, we head over to Eric and Ashley's house. It's a tradition for the guys, and Ashley and I come along for the ride, now you're here too, so I'm assuming things are going well with Harry?"

"There're so many people here tonight. It seems like such a small school, I never even knew it was here," Chelsea whispered, avoiding the question. She was, however, honestly quite amazed by the turn out on Christmas Eve.

"This school stays alive because of the families who support it and continue to send their children here generation after generation. I think it's the only little Catholic school left in this area and it feeds the elite private schools in this part of the city. The guys come every year. I think all of their school friends do. It's like some sort of huge reunion for them," Alyson continued to whisper as the men took their seats beside them.

Chelsea settled back to watch the concert and smiled as Harry reached over and took her hand. She was enchanted by the children as they sang and danced their way through almost an hour and a half of entertainment. The final song was the twelve days of Christmas and the stage filled as each of the children came out to represent one of the days. The small stage was practically full when Zanders son Michel came out alone hitting a drum in a solitary beat. The music and singing died as he turned toward the audience.

"My Uncle Harry promised his girlfriend twelve drummers drumming but there just wasn't enough kids here to make it happen for her," Michael said sadly.

"Oh no," Chelsea put her hand to her cheek. "Go and tell him he is perfect all on his own," she whispered to Harry. Then Michael started talking again in a perfectly rehearsed if stilted, speech.

"Then I remembered that my Daddy used to be in a drumline with some of you, so Daddy, can you come and help me? And Uncle Harry, And Uncle Eric," he paused before listing a group of men and a few of their sons.

"That's my cue," Harry chuckled unless you'd rather I told him to stand out there alone?" he smirked. She looked at him in stunned silence, and he stood to move toward the stage.

"He promised you twelve drummers drumming?" Ashley asked moving down to fill the empty seat Harry had just left.

"Sort of, he's been giving me a gift each day," she fingered the partridge in a pear tree pendant she wore. "Today is the twelfth day," she explained.

"How romantic," Alyson mused with a thoughtful smile. She had known Harry for a long time, and she had never seen him treat the women he dated as much more than fashion accessories to be worn on the end of his arm. Even Riley, who he had been serious about for a little while, didn't seem to have captured Harry's attention as this woman had.

After counting back from twelve drummers drumming, the children launched into a version of the little drummer boy that included a bit of a routine from the drumline half way through that was more comedic than well-rehearsed and the concert ended with much applause and laughter as the men took their seats again after returning the drums.

Ashley and Eric headed home to prepare for their guests, while Chelsea and Harry stayed to congratulate the children on their performance. Chelsea was introduced to Zanders parents, who were taking the children home for them. Once again in the crowd, Harry kept physical contact with her as if afraid he would lose her somehow. If he went to greet old friends, he took her hand so that she went with him. She wondered again just how much damage she had done by leaving him the way she had and she hoped his need to be so close to her at all times wasn't a sign of things to come.

"Chelsea," Michael said coming to stand beside her.

"You were wonderful tonight thank you for giving me the twelve drummers drumming," she smiled.

"You're welcome," he said politely. "I need to talk to you," he said very seriously.

"This sounds serious, would you like to sit down over there?" she pointed at a bench seat that ran along the side of the wall."

He nodded, and she took his hand letting him lead her away from Harry who immediately looked after her and turned so that he could watch the pair from close by.

"Are you going to marry my Uncle Harry?" Michael asked in the same serious tone.

"If he asks me to," replied as honestly as she could.

"He said he already has asked you, but you were still deciding," Michael frowned.

"It's a little complicated, but I suppose he has in a way. He hasn't come out and asked me properly, though, do you think he will?" she asked.

"Yeah, I reckon he will. It's probably just he doesn't know that's what you're waiting for," the little boy advised. "Now I'm not sure what to do," he looked over at Harry and then back at her.

"Maybe I can help, what were you supposed to do?" she asked.

"When you said yes I was supposed to make you promise and then give you something," Michael frowned. "But you said only if he asks and that he hadn't asked and now I'm not sure," his young mind grappled with the problem.

"How about if I promise to say yes as soon as he asks me," she said trying to ease his concerns by taking the word if out of the equation. Harry had been acting like she had accepted his proposal already talking about their future and the New Year as if she had said yes and she found that this conversation was making her suddenly making her feel uneasy. Was he worried that something might happen between now and the announcement on New Year's Eve to change her mind? Was that why he was staying so close and not letting her stray more than a few feet from his side at any time today?

"I don't know if that's the same thing," he turned his frown of concentration on her.

"Then maybe you should ask your Uncle what he would like you to do. You can tell him that sometimes people need to hear the words to know they are real and that as soon as I hear them, I will say yes," she smiled. The proposal he had made to her was a business agreement handled by Isabella, and she would accept it as such and marry him, but she would like to hear the words just once. As Michael stood to go and speak to Harry, she worried that she had made a mistake in not saying yes immediately and she watched anxiously for his reaction to the littles boys dilemma.

She watched as Harry squatted down next to the boy and had a serious discussion, a small smile tilting his mouth as he nodded and said something in return. The little boy returned to her then with a smile.

"Okay so you just have to promise to say yes when he does ask, and you can have the prize," Michael said with a smile.

"I promise," she told the serious young man. He continued to stare at her, so she crossed her heart and held out her pinkie finger to him.

"Girls are weird," he shook his head and spat on his hand holding it out to her. She shook it unconcerned by the spit that slid across her palm. Michael stood to stick a hand deep into his pocket and pulled out a small toy drum. "This is for you then," he said with a sense of relief. "Just remember you promised."

"Thank you, very much," She looked at it with a smile thinking it was a tangible reminder of the twelfth day of Christmas.

"Michael. Come on, Nanny and Pop want to go," Zander walked toward them.

"You can open it," he said, "You don't have to wait until tomorrow."

Chelsea looked at the little drum again and tried to find a catch to open it. She smiled as the little boy took it her from her hands and twisted it, separating the bottom from the outer casing and pulling it free. The bottom disc held a small velvet pillow on which a ring was tied with a small pink ribbon. The ring was small and delicate, the intricate pattern twining like a loosely plaited rope interspersed with pale pink coloured gemstones.

"It means you promise," Michael said. "Don't forget, you promised." He said as his father picked him up.

"I'll put it on right now so I don't forget it," she smiled and content with her answer he stopped squirming in his father's arms to be released.

"My son's giving you jewellery?" Zander raised an eyebrow.

"He also gave me twelve drummers drumming. I'm feeling pretty special tonight," Chelsea laughed.

"She's a bit old for you mate," Zander told his son. "There's a few years yet before you need to start thinking about giving a girl a ring."

"It's not from me," Michael pulled a face and made a disgusted sound. "Uncle Harry wants to marry her, not me." He protested loudly.

"He does, does he?" Zander said sceptically. "Time for good boys to go home to bed, so Santa knows where to find them. Say good night to Chelsea."

"Good night, Chelsea," Michael repeated after his father.

"Good night Drummer Boy, I hope Santa brings you something nice tonight," she said in return.

"He will now, Uncle Harry promised," he said with certainty.

"He did, did he?" Zander chuckled again. "Good old Uncle Harry."

The small group including Harry and Chelsea walked out to the carpark together. The children were taken home, and the adults drove over to Eric and Ashley's house. Harry held her hand in the car but seemed subdued and thoughtful. Unsure if he was annoyed that she hadn't immediately said yes to Michael she remained silent and tried not to worry on the short trip to Eric and Ashley's home.

The party was bigger than Chelsea had expected. It was after nine when they arrived, and most of the guests had left by eleven to attend to their preparations for the following day. The group of long-time friends apparently did this each year, bringing the childhood friends together no matter where they were in the country. Some of the men stayed only half an hour, having to fly back to families, but the men she had met on her first night with Harry remained with their wives, and she realised they all lived locally. It was after midnight when Zander turned to Harry with a knowing smile.

"Michael tells me you're getting married," he said casually to Harry. "Not much of an engagement ring." He indicated Chelsea's hand as she stood nearby by out of earshot talking with Ashley and Xavier.

"That's because it's not," Harry said easily. "I haven't officially asked her yet, but Michael asked her to promise to say yes when I did, so that is the promise ring he gave her to remind her," Harry explained in a quiet voice. His stiff demeanour softening a little with Zander.